Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I was gifted this Taurus. It came with a CEL and an ABS light on. I got a cheap reader to pull the code and got code p0453 (Evaporative Emission Pressure Sensor/ Switch High) Did a little research and replaced the gas cap. Light stayed. Brought it to a mechanic to identify the abs sensor, replaced that (ABS light gone), and the vapor vent valve connected to the charcoal canister. Still the light stayed. Its now being recommended that I replace the fuel tank pressure sensor that sits on top of the fuel tank. Has anyone come across this issue before? Id really like to make certain this sensor IS the issue before taking that step. Thankyou for your time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It could be the sensor itself or wiring, or perhaps even a blockage in the lines. Luckily this is not a major issue and I would ignore it.

·
Super Moderator
8,220 Posts
^^^ This issue wont effect the way the car runs in any way, so the problem itself isnt really an issue. The BIG issue is that the car will not pass a state emissions inspection with an IM monitor failure for the EVAP system, the state will not renew the license plates with a failed inspection, so the car cant be driven legally on public roads.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
I have had two issues with a small leak code on the evap system. The first was fixed by wiggling the connections on the purge valve located on the passenger side firewall. The other on was the filler neck on my 2001, it had a pinhole leak from rust penetration. I replaced filler neck and problem was gone. It is hard to find a leak without a smoke machine.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
375 Posts
My granddaughter had a small evap leak on her 14 edge. I showed her how to clean around the gas cap seat and the problem went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts