Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It only happens at start up. Not when idling after at stop lights. It only happens at slow or idle. Then the car runs fine. I’ve replaced the IAC, the cam position sensor and synchronizer, the crank shaft position sensor, and found several vacuum leaks. The pvc was cracked and I replaced that. The battery was under warranty and it is new now. The alternator was dead and I put one in from junk yard. It seems to be fine. No dim lights or trouble starting, or random dying while driving. I have two codes now. P1336 and P0156....The first one I thought would be resolved with the fixes I made and the second code is new as of today. I think that’s downstream so I don’t think it would cause this issue. I shock the wires running to various things I thought may cause it and no change. It doesn’t do it all the time. I also replaced the fuel filter, and new spark plugs when I did front and back value cover gaskets and while I was chasing vacuum leaks. Any thoughts or help I’d greatly appreciate.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Check your coil pack for cracks. Check your spark plugs. If any are really clean compared to the others, possible head gasket failure. Coolant leaking into the cylinder overnight will cause a bad miss on cold starts. Been there lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your coil pack for cracks. Check your spark plugs. If any are really clean compared to the others, possible head gasket failure. Coolant leaking into the cylinder overnight will cause a bad miss on cold starts. Been there lol
Okay I’ll take a look. I haven’t thought about HG. There is no white smoke out of tailpipe and the coolant level is very consistent. I’ll check plugs and you updated.
Other things I’ve done so far are

replace rear brake cylinders on drums, replace one caliper on front, brake booster and master brake cylinder, lower arms on front, ball joints, sway bar links, outer tie rods, tie rod ends, and front shocks and struts. I put a new coolant tank on it and completely flushed the gunk out. Now my heat is awesome.
Any other suggestions on this intermittent problem I’m all ears. *there is also a slight vibration on gas pedal when giving it gas from 50mph- 70mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have the spark plug wires been replaced recently? Agree to run compression test.
I changed all spark plugs. The wires seem to be brand new abs not the factory set. It has 159,000 so I’m thinking they are good. But I’ll check them out a bit closer. I’ll take it to a shop and have a compression test done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would concur with an ignition problem. At low rpms a miss or crossfire shows up but as rpms increase (note, not speed but rpm's) the firing comes closer together as well as rotating inertia so it becomes less apparent

Three tricks I learned way back when. Manual shift to keep your rpms high and see if the shake at 55 goes away when you do it. Pull plugs off one at a time while at idle, note differences. Best trick to find cracks, bad wires? The Olds mechanic across the street when I was a kid taught me to run it in a dark area with the hood up. The darker the better - you'll see arcing if that's the problem.

One more thing with modern high energy ignitions. Make certain the ignition wires are kept spaced and no missing insulators. Nowadays wires too close to each other can induce current into the adjacent wire and cause an erratic spark or missing spark. It also helps to put a light coat of silicone grease on the plugs about midway up - keeps moisture from getting to the wire/plug contact and prevents arc out. Learned that on a '62 Buick 229 odd fire (pre 231/3.8) - distributor was at the front of the motor and prone to splashing ... and with a 1983 vintage HEI we had arc out as well. Had a Cutlass a girl ran 25 miles with no oil, and the 229 mothballed in the garage. The good old days lol. Don't like the engine? Put in a different one 🤪

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I think I solved this issue. I had some rough oil leaks that I fixed while running through the engine. Silly me didn’t tap the oil back off. So 1.5 quarts low. I have the oil level right and it hasn’t done it since. I think that could have been it.

·
Super Moderator
8,415 Posts
No oil cap = HUGE vacuum leak = engine runs poorly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts