Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Taurus Duratec DOHC; 84,000 miles-Late last summer I took on servicing the cooling system; hoses, TSTAT, flush,etc. I had to work in stages, as this car can be quite difficult to service. After the second phase, one of those plastic elbow fittings busted, so that too had to be replaced. Afterwards, Just under the water pump, a minor leak persisted and I finally got around to it this week-Water Pump, a hose, clamps, etc.Since this leak has persisted since late summer, I expected to find clear evidence of EXACTLY where the leak was, I anticipated either the pump seal or the plastic fitting cracked. NADA. Post work pressure test and drive all seems good now, but I'm wondering if other members have had a similar experience.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
The hoses on this engine are a real pain. See pic, I replaced the short elbow to the pump. Had to go to Ford garage to get the hose. I soaked it in hot water to soften it up enough to get it on.
I would not do a stat on this engine as they very seldom have an issue. I presently have 3 '03 DOHC on the road. None have had any temperature control issues. Highest mile one just turned 190K.
And this: it is possible to make engines easy to access. I had to replace water pump on '11 Buick 3.9. Had to have a garage do it. 1.0 hours labor.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,956 Posts
^^^^ Agreed. Hoses are a PITA on the Tec.

I had to replace the water pump on my 05 SEL Tec 2 years ago at 90K miles. Took me around 8 hours of hard work total over 2 days. Motorcraft pump cost $100 from Rock Auto.

2 years before that did the water pump on my 88 Turbo Coupe 2.3 L Turbo. Original pump lasted 250K miles. Took me all of half an hour including draining and refilling the coolant. Pump attached to front of the engine with 3 bolts. Pump cost $25.

RWD cars are sooooo much easier to work on than FWD.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
My Buick Lucerne, '11. I could change the belt in 5 minutes with only a 3/8" flex handle. Pliers in an emergency. Alt change ~15 minutes including finding tools. They do not put the regulator in the Alt. It is on the fender. And it uses a coolant overflow tank, no pressure. Fill cap is way up on top for easy filling. Lots of room all around the cabin. And, 2 valve per cylinder, iron block is faster 0-60 than G-4 Bull with DOHC. Doesn't make me like the car though. I will never like the throttle by wire. Point is easy access is possible on front wheel drive. But it must have been too good for GM, they dropped the car and the engine.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The hoses on this engine are a real pain. See pic, I replaced the short elbow to the pump. Had to go to Ford garage to get the hose. I soaked it in hot water to soften it up enough to get it on.
I would not do a stat on this engine as they very seldom have an issue. I presently have 3 '03 DOHC on the road. None have had any temperature control issues. Highest mile one just turned 190K.
And this: it is possible to make engines easy to access. I had to replace water pump on '11 Buick 3.9. Had to have a garage do it. 1.0 hours labor.
-chart-
I actually had a stat failure (stuck closed) on my 01 Tec. It manifested itself in a very obvious way though, the car would regularly hit 212F while driving and the fans would pretty much always be running. I'm still impressed it refused to overheat though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts