Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called a few shops to see what they charge for wheel alignment and all except one were in the $60-$80 range, the one said it depended on whether the spot welds on top of the strut towers had ever been removed and if not would run $140? My spot welds are still in tact which says to that shop that there has never been a wheel alignment. Any body have any information on this situation, do those welds have to be removed to do the proper job? None of the other shops ever mentioned this problem, even after I said the wheels have probably never been aligned?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
346 Posts
Firestone complete auto care. Lifetime alignment service. $100-$160 range then use it as much as you want.
Only thing here is they'll throw abunch of stuff on your first few visits to them on the quote sheet like you need this that X serviced / replaced.
Also you need to make sure they can give a printout everytime you get it aligned and that they do more than just "put it in the green"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (wjob @ Jun 5 2010, 09:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809533
Called a few shops to see what they charge for wheel alignment and all except one were in the $60-$80 range, the one said it depended on whether the spot welds on top of the strut towers had ever been removed and if not would run $140? My spot welds are still in tact which says to that shop that there has never been a wheel alignment. Any body have any information on this situation, do those welds have to be removed to do the proper job? None of the other shops ever mentioned this problem, even after I said the wheels have probably never been aligned?

Thanks
Bill[/b]
Anyone ever heard the above? Do the welds have to be removed?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't see what Taurus model or year you have, or what mileage is on the car. That being said, if the car has not been in an accident or hit something hard why would you need a wheel alignment? If the car is of a high mileage vintage you should first replace the steering end links and front ball joints, both of which are relatively easy to check. Then and only then should you even think of checking into any wheel alignment unless a previous owner has like you mentioned broken the upper welds and attempted to "adjust" castor and camber on the front end.

If you want to check something get a friend to help you measure the front wheel toe adjustment. Taurus's should have a slight toe in which is easily adjusted at the steering end ball joints. But, once again I would not do any adjusting until you know if all the ball joints up front are tight. If you have bad front wheel wear you probably have to little air pressure in the front tires. I recommend 38psi front, 32psi rear for even wear and good handling (if you live where ice and snow is a common winter problem lower these numbers to 35/30 when the temperature drops into the freezing range).

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (wjob @ Jun 5 2010, 11:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809582
QUOTE (wjob @ Jun 5 2010, 09:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809533

Thanks
Bill[/b]
Anyone ever heard the above? Do the welds have to be removed?
[/b][/quote]

Honestly, I do know if its necessary. All I can say, it's been removed on my car.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Removing the spot welds allow a greater range of alignment. As the car ages, the suspension starts sagging so removing the spot welds will allow better alignment without having to replace the struts just yet. Not having them drilled out isn't a sign that it hasn't been aligned. It can be aligned without drilling them out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
weakening springs will cause the tires to tip inward at the top since there are no upper control arms like rear wheel drive older cars, so yes this has to be done (remove spot welds) to move the whole assembly to allignment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts