Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Silver 2001 Taurus decided to light up the battery light today on a trip. Rush hour traffic, stop and go, my wife looks over and sees the battery light on. The steering wheel was blocking my view of that light. I was 15 miles from home but the return route was backed up for miles so getting home seemed slim. We got off the highway and I shut off all the lights and the blower motor. It seemed that after ten minutes the battery light went out and stayed out all the way home. At home the voltage with all possible load was over 14 volts. Tried the voltage crank test and battery seemed strong with voltage over ten volts. But the charging voltage dropped to 13.3 with all load on.

Took the alternator off and had it tested at three different parts stores with a failed results at all. This is the car that is eventually making a trip to live it's remaining life at Pull a Part but just won't give up.

I disassembled the alternator to figure if I can swap the partial rebuild 2006 alternator I did a couple of years ago until I could rebuild the original alternator on the 2006. I installed new slip rings on the 2006 rotor and diodes were fine. I wish the 2006 voltage regulator would work in the 2001 but it won't. They are different in how the voltage is controlled and battery light is lit. The 2001 alternator with 180k miles what totally bad slip ring. It actually was machined by the brushes so bad a copper ring broke off the inner slip ring and could touch the other ring. Those are shot.

I am going to try to swap the regulators to see if I can make the 2006 alternator into a 2001. Brushes on the 2001 regulator are only half worn. Should be the same other than the regulator. I may try a $20 ebay regulator it the regulator is also shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Swapped regulator from the 2001 and installed on the partially rebuilt 2006 alternator and installed in car. Output voltage was 15.2 volts which is within spec for the alternator test and didn't drop below 15 volts with all available load turned on. Let it run for a while, then pulled it out of the car to have it tested tonight. Thinking it should pass the tests.

Trying to find out what the "Lamp On" test and Lamp Off voltage tests are. Is it when the idiot light turns off and on???? Didn't think it was on the 2006 test maybe because the computer turns the light on and off.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Had alternator tested at Advanced Auto Parts tonight and it tested good. All issues seemed to be caused by a significantly worn lower slip ring. Once again this car escapes its journey to Pull a Parts to live. Swapping the 2001 regulator into a spare partially rebuilt alternator just cost the core charge from the alternator I got originally from Pull a Parts for my 2006 and a few bucks for slip rings from Ebay.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts