Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I have a 2001 with a Vulcan that is leaking oil leak onto an exhaust pipe. I was able to find this spot today while parked facing uphill and then after I turned off the vehicle it dripped and smoked. It must also be dripping when running because I smell it through the vents and it sometimes smokes out the hood when stopped.

Can someone give me a little guidance on what is leaking from this picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
I faced the smell of burning oil and sometimes smoking billowing out the side of the hood from time to time, daily. My oil pan was leaking, a bitch to replace BTW.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As pointed out in the previous post, on a Vulcan, this is almost always the oil-pan gasket leaking oil above the cats. Unfortunately, replacing the oil-pan gasket requires removal of the cross-over exhaust pipe. The leak is hard to see until the cross over pipe is removed. I recommend the Fel-Pro oil-pan gasket. I had exactly this problem on my '93 LX.

·
Registered
374 Posts
As pointed out in the previous post, on a Vulcan, this is almost always the oil-pan gasket leaking oil above the cats. Unfortunately, replacing the oil-pan gasket requires removal of the cross-over exhaust pipe. The leak is hard to see until the cross over pipe is removed. I recommend the Fel-Pro oil-pan gasket. I had exactly this problem on my '93 LX.
My G4 did not require removal of the y-pipe, I came prepared with the converter gaskets, but they managed to get around the y-pipe.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Same thing with my '02 Vulcan. IT CAN be done without completely removing the Y pipe but it has to be loosened to enable some wiggle room.
Is most of an all day job.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My G4 did not require removal of the y-pipe, I came prepared with the converter gaskets, but they managed to get around the y-pipe.
Yes. You are right. I did this on my G3 Vulcan back in '03 and removed the Y-pipe on that. My various Taurii generations are now starting to blur together....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts