Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( HELP. my name is brian stigall and i'm stationed in Germany. I have two Taurus's both 3.0L with auto's. I bought a 2001 that will not move under it'd own power. The last owner has change the fluids and filter, but it will not engage when in drive or reverce. Do these cars have amy known issues with any part of the tramsmission? Anybody have suggestions of where to start looking. when the car is running and placed intop gear the engine does not react as if in gear, it will rev without any resestance (like it was in park/neutral. Need Help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
QUOTE (eurotaurus @ Jun 4 2010, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809289
Do these cars have amy known issues with any part of the tramsmission?[/b]
Yer kidding, right?

These cars are FAMOUS for having issues with their transmissions. I had a 2000 LX and a 2004 LX, both Vulcans. Both had transmission issues beginning at just over 30,000 miles. I have had 95,000 trouble-free miles with my 2007 Fusion (recently paid off the upside-down from the 04 LX), but it has a manual transmission.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (sfhess @ Jun 4 2010, 02:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809313
QUOTE (eurotaurus @ Jun 4 2010, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809289
Do these cars have amy known issues with any part of the tramsmission?[/b]
Yer kidding, right?

These cars are FAMOUS for having issues with their transmissions. I had a 2000 LX and a 2004 LX, both Vulcans. Both had transmission issues beginning at just over 30,000 miles. I have had 95,000 trouble-free miles with my 2007 Fusion (recently paid off the upside-down from the 04 LX), but it has a manual transmission.......
[/b][/quote]

these are my first tausus's, the 2000 has 130K and the 2001 has 88k, the 2000 run great even thou the last owner beat the crap out of it. I just got the 2001, clean less miles. but the trans issue. What are the biggest problems with them. this weekend i'll spend some time looking the 2001 over. any suggistions?

·
Registered
484 Posts
There are at least two directions to look at here. The first direction is with the pump/pump shaft/torque converter. If you have lost hydraulic function the transmission fluid level should appear well over full with the engine not running and the level won't change when you start the car. The fluid may even appear to be clean and red because pump failures are usually sudden and, as a result, neither the fluid nor the clutches get burned.

The second direction to look in would be a burned "forward clutch". If this is the case the fluid may be low, dirty, burned brown and smell awful. If you can start the car and put it in gear, rev the engine and the car will try to move or suddenly engage roughly into a higher gear the problem is likely the latter problem.

Check out the things I've mentioned and post back so we can go further.

Good luck, Popeye

1 - 4 of 4 Posts