Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has a 2001 Taurus. She can drive the car less than 5 miles down town and go into store and come back out and it want crank. The car can sit over nite and fire right up. We will try to crank it and the fuel pump doesn't come on. We bought a fuel pump relay and that seemed to help for about a mth and it did it again. Anyone have any suggestions of what we need to look for.

·
Registered
146 Posts
a few suggestions of places to start would be TRS, sometimes called the neutral safety switch, ignition switch and clean all your grounds, especially at the starter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you tried jump starting it? any weird things going on? Do brake lights stay lit after you removed foot? Do they not light up when you DO press the brake pedal?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We haven't checked any of these. The only thing I know is the fuel pump want come on when we try to crank it. It can sit over nite and it will fire right up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does the selenoid click? That and the starter can fail when hot if it's dirty from oil leaking on it especially on dirt roads, or it's just near the end if it's life.
Make sure your starter and connections are clean and the battery ground to the tranny is good too.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
Does the car not crank or not start? It seems you are saying different things each time. One time it wont crank they the other time you say the fuel pump is not running and wont start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My bet it is the starter. Had a 56 Olds back in the sixties, when cold cranked right up, when hot it just clicked. My issue was the rebuilt starter was not for a Jetaway transmission, which need a lot more torgue to turn the transmission when it was hot. Also had a 55 Ford when the engine got hot the solenoid on the fender well would just click. New solenoid solved that problem.B)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The motor will turn over but it want run. When u turn the key on the fuel pump doesn't come on at all. But when u let the car sit over nite it will fire right up and run. But as soon as she drives it again it will repeat itself.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
The motor will turn over but it want run. When u turn the key on the fuel pump doesn't come on at all. But when u let the car sit over nite it will fire right up and run. But as soon as she drives it again it will repeat itself.
Both of my 2001s had the same issue as your Mom's car. Both were fixed with fuel pump replacements and both were around 100K miles. Both had the fuel filter that had three connections instead of the normal two connection filters. The only difference with your Mom's is that they were not fuel flex cars which changes the pump somewhat. If the filter has three connections then the pressure regulator is in the tank and it seems that that system kills the pumps fast. That fuel system was only used for one year on the 2001s and not any other Taurus.

I was able to squirt starter fluid into intake and it started one of my 2001s. My guess is that it raised the voltage a little which helped the pump to start up. You can try jumping the car with a running car to see if that helps a to start the pump. If it does then my guess is the fuel pump. The fuel flex pumps are much more expensive than a regular one. I saw normal ones at rock auto for $100.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Fuel pressure tester is a must, and a tool that will be a lifetime investment if your gonna wrench on vehicles. Not that expensive either and when ya need one ya need it and you'll have it.
Carter brand fuel pumps from RA have poor gas gauge senders right out of the box, cheaper price but flaky senders. I've been bit by 2 of them.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Fuel pressure tester is a must, and a tool that will be a lifetime investment if your gonna wrench on vehicles. Not that expensive either and when ya need one ya need it and you'll have it.
Carter brand fuel pumps from RA have poor gas gauge senders right out of the box, cheaper price but flaky senders. I've been bit by 2 of them.
Yep, Delphi is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We put a fuel pressure gauge on it and it only shows 18 psi. We were looking for the fuel filter to change that out but we couldn't find it.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
We put a fuel pressure gauge on it and it only shows 18 psi. We were looking for the fuel filter to change that out but we couldn't find it.
The filter is mounted on the backside of the rocker cover in front of the rear passenger wheel about in line with the rear seat.

Pressure should be higher than 18 psi. Thought it is in the forty to fifty psi range. Was it 18 psi running??? Try a new filter but it maybe your fuel pump. How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The testing was done with the key in the run position. It has 90 some thousand on it. It was only getting driven maybe a couple miles a day.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
14 Participants
Clambert
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing