Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine owns a 2001 Taurus wagon with a 301 Vulcan engine w/ 90k miles.
He removed the cables prior to cleaning the battery.
After reconnecting the cables he washed the engine lightly with water to remove dirt etc.

He started the engine and noticed that it has no power. It runs like it is 15 degrees retarded.

On board diagnostics showed no codes.

What could be the cause of engine power loss?:(

·
Registered
671 Posts
Keep in mind vulcans are 15-ways retarded, and produce no power to begin with. It's entirely possible that water got into some sensor connectors, and shorted them out, messing up the PCM's maths.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Water

A friend of mine owns a 2001 Taurus wagon with a 301 Vulcan engine w/ 90k miles.
He removed the cables prior to cleaning the battery.
After reconnecting the cables he washed the engine lightly with water to remove dirt etc.

He started the engine and noticed that it has no power. It runs like it is 15 degrees retarded.

On board diagnostics showed no codes.

What could be the cause of engine power loss?:(
First check the easy ones.
Check the air filter. Wet filters suck!:lol2:

OLD SCHOOL. Listen to the exhaust at idle, does it miss? Have someone put it in gear and hold brake, give it some gas: Does it miss?

If it misses, you likely have water in the plug wire ends, or some other elect connector.

Engine lights are like computers. Set up by geeks who like to cause frustration. By the book, many light fuctions are not set by only one error. You might get a "not ready" status with out a light. In my state, cannot get inspection. Not ready means it has had an issue, but not a repeat to set a light. On the other hand you can get a light without any issue. Reset it and not happen again.

And a side note. Used car dealers may reset the system, even it there is no light. Then it will not set a light, even if there is a problem until it has developed a new history. Some require as many as 21 cold starts and warm up to 160 degrees before becoming "ready" again.

ps I would not wash a car engine. I blow it off with compresed air. Gets the leaves, walnuts, and mouse nests out of the way. :D
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^ +1

Washing a modern electronics filled engine bay with even just a garden hose is asking for trouble. Using a pressure washer will 100% guarantee trouble, and lots of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bad ignition coil.

A bad ignition coil.

My friend John removed the ignition coil from his 2004 Taurus and installed it in the 2001 wagon and that solved the problem.
He said that the coil may have been affected by the washing of the engine. Who knows?

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

We appreciated your help.
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts