Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Taurus. It has some mileage on it about 185k. Car has been great. Recently I started having a problem with it not starting. I located the wire that is the problem. Sorry no pic at this point but it is the wire (2 actually) that run from the main harness under the hood and go between the alternator bracket and plug into something just below the water pump. I have a slight coolant leak from I assume replacing the water pump and not getting all the old gasket off the head/block. The leak has been so little that until I get time it has been easier to top off. The problem being now this switch/wire gets a little wet.

Yeah I know the solution is to fix the leak and that is in the work, but does anyone know what this wire does? I assume it has something to do with the starter itself/signal?

tomorrow I can get a pic of the exact setup. It just left my wife stranded, she is MAD. LOL. Thing never does it to me, just her. (not always but usually).

I am hoping I won't have to dig into the main wiring harness.

Anyone have a clue of what I am talking about? haha?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, in the past I have wiggled this wire to get it to start. I have at other times had to disconnect it and clean it out with some cleaner. If I could find a replacement head/fitting for it I would probably cut it out and replace the wiring in that short section.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Make sure it's not the Timing cover leaking first before replacing the water pump, just sayin' It happened to me and the job is doable but NOT fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts