Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 cylinder v6 ford taurus. I put new spark plugs in my car yesterday, along with spark plug wires. My car has been shaking and making an odd clicking sound when put in reverse and when in drive. It has a full tank of gas currently. Today just a few minutues ago after the car came to a complete stop at a stoplight it would make a screeching sound, and then the engine would stop. I would turn the car over, give it gas and eventaully it would slowly "chug" along. I am not sure what to do from this point after putting in new spark plugs. Can someone please please help me diagnose what is wrong, and I will happily give more information if needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, check engine light does not come on and I haven't recieved any codes. Something is telling me that I may need a filter of some sorts or I need to clean a certain area? Not sure though.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Was it running OK before you changed the plugs?

Go back and check to make sure you plugged the spark plug wires properly, didn't damage any of them or disconnected something like a vacuum line or sensor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was it running OK before you changed the plugs?

Go back and check to make sure you plugged the spark plug wires properly, didn't damage any of them or disconnected something like a vacuum line or sensor.
It was running worse before I put the spark plugs in. The spark plugs seemed to make a little difference.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Well, you have spark as the engine runs albeit poorly.

You need to now check out the other areas: air and fuel.

Things to clean/check: Idle air controller, Mass airflow sensor, PCV valve. These will affect the air/fuel mixture as controlled by the PCM. Fuel delivery also is a factor and there are things such as clogged fuel filters or injectors that could be contributing.

You may have some pending codes that will not trigger a MIL but may be read by an OBD reader. If you can check on any possible pending codes that would be helpful.

Try cleaning the MAF and IAC first and see if that helps since it is relatively easy to do. Make sure you use only cleaner specifically made for MAF and do not touch the wires.

·
Registered
670 Posts
To get rid of that similar problem on my 99 Vulcan i had to do a lot of things.

Plugs , wires, fuel filter, clean MAF, Clean TB, clean PCV area and replace PCV valve. That helped almost all of the problem.

I am guessing that never changing the o2 sensors isn't helping anything either. I doubt i could even get mine out with over 130k miles on them they are probably welded in.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Let's identify the source of the screeching noise first.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I have a 6 cylinder v6 ford taurus. I put new spark plugs in my car yesterday, along with spark plug wires. My car has been shaking and making an odd clicking sound when put in reverse and when in drive. It has a full tank of gas currently. Today just a few minutues ago after the car came to a complete stop at a stoplight it would make a screeching sound, and then the engine would stop. I would turn the car over, give it gas and eventaully it would slowly "chug" along. I am not sure what to do from this point after putting in new spark plugs. Can someone please please help me diagnose what is wrong, and I will happily give more information if needed. Thanks.
first check and ensure that the wires are going to the correct plug.
try to pinpoint where the schreech is coming from
get a code reader plugged up and check for codes / impending codes

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Let's identify the source of the screeching noise first.
+1!!!!

Screech is likely either the cam syncro assy (assuming it is a Vulcan) or the serp belt. If serp belt is screeching, there is an excessive load on the belt due to a partly siezed idler/tensioner pulley, AC hub bearing, water pump, etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank all of you for helping me out. I ended up taking it to Firestone and they ran a diagnostic on my car and found out that there were misfires in I DONT REMEMBER WHAT NUMBER COILS.. darn't. I have it on my receipt. Anyways, with parts and labor it is going to run me 340.00. However, that's not all I noticed that it is idleing roughly after a new coil was put in and in fact the engine did turn off on when trying to reverse. I will need to take it back and have them work on it. They put the coil in for me without me paying for it which was a kind gesture. Now I question to why it is still messing up on me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts