Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: 2001 Taurus timing chain replacement

I'm replacing the timing chain on my 2001 Ford Taurus 3.0 OHV. Will it be necessary to remove the oil pan and replace the gasket when I remove the front cover, or can the cover be replaced with the right set of new gaskets without removing the oil pan?

Thanks for any help or information :)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Some have done it without replacing the oil pan gasket but it is probably hit or miss with the prefered practice to be replacing the pan gasket.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I recently replaced the water pump and thought about going back and replacing the timing chain at what is about 110,000 miles. I just wasn't sure about taking the exhaust down to get the job done. Much better to do it right.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I have never replace a Vulcan timing chain and I have ones with 240k, 235k,145k,and 138k with no issues. I have removed two timing covers without the pan gasket and both are ok. The way I look at it is that the pan gasket is totally independent of the cover replacement by that I mean no rework needs to be done if it does leak. If it does then you will have to do the extra work.

·
Administrator
14,913 Posts
^+1

That is why I asked, I put 294k on one. I am not sure I have ever heard of one being replaced other than someone doing the cover replacing it because they were there anyway

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You are right, my intention was preemptive replacement. The car is in good condition after steering and suspension work so I will have it a while. I was thinking the new chain might be a good investment unless they don't wear or obviously aren't an issue with the mileage you have gotten! This is my second Taurus and it's being taken care of, only take it to a shop for tires and alignments. I do major maintenance when I have the opportunity so I thought I would just redo the effort after fixing the water pump leak.
Thanks for your higher mileage experiences and knowledge especially with oil pan gasket if it ever does get done.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Chain wear really isn't an issue with these cars. It's extremely rare to see them break.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Now, over 200,000 miles you could consider it. But members and others have gotten over 400,000 miles out of Vulcans and I don't believe they replaced the chains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
The White Falcon
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing