Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :D

I have a 2001 ford Taurus SES. As many of you know, it has a 12v outlet on the bottom below and to the right ashtray, and above that the cigarette lighter.
Anyway.. It worked (the cigarette lighter) when I got the car used.. But when I did use it, when it was hot and ready, it would actually pop out onto the floor, or on the car seat LOL. Im not sure if that is evidence of a problem, when the lighter flys out when its done?

So anyway, then it stopped working all together. Nothing special happened when it broke, it just died. The actual lighter itself, not the socket, looks fine, like its brand new.. then again, so does the socket..

I can get my hand under the dash and feel its plugged in.. No fuses are blown either. I was looking at autozone for a replacement, I tried to pop out the socket pushing it out with my hand from inside the dash, and the sucker wont budge. I seen only one other post on this website about how to remove it.. and from what he said the radio needs to come out, and this part, and this thing.. and I'm not going to take all that stuff apart if that is the only way.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Most likely the connector came out. Does the little light still come on at night (or anytime I suppose) that lights up the ashtray? If it does not, it's disconnected (they are wired up together). Sometimes you bulb could just be burned out too, but you should obviously check for that.

When it pops out on the car seat.. just make sure you don't start a fire lol, but it simply means the meteal to metal seal when you press it in there is worn down in some way (maybe the metal rim is bent out or dented in in some way to where it doesn't secure the lighter good enough).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts