Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post on this forum and i am hoping i can get some solutions to my problems. So the other night driving home my cel came on and then flashed when i came to a stop. I scanned it once i got home i have codes p0301and p0420. I changed plugs wires and ignition coil still the same rough shaking idle hesitation feels like it wants to stall at higher speeds it seems fine though. So today i did a compression test which checked out fine the biggest difference was 9 psi in cyl number 2. So i have good spark fuel and compression any other ideas on what this could be guys? Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Are you getting the same codes after the work you have done? Have you looked at the PCV elbow for a vacuum leak. It may look good but press your finger in the elbow to see if it is soft and cracked. It may lead to nothing but it is an easy check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes same codes fuel rail pressure good but could be single injector i suppose. Once morning breaks i will check pcv and if thats not it ill pull off intake manifold and check injectors

·
Registered
59 Posts
Recently I had a similar problem with my 97 3.0 Vulcan, however mine was a misfire on cylinder 4. Like yours, the check engine light would occasionally flash while sitting at a stop light.

My misfire problem was resolved after I replaced the (squeaky) original camshaft synchronizer with a remanufactured motorcraft unit w/sensor from Rock Auto.

Changing the camshaft position sensor will not resolve problem. I know this because shortly after I purchased the car back in Oct 2012, the original sensor failed (magnet fell apart) giving a trouble code and it was replaced with a new sensor from Oreilly's.

The camshaft synchronizer was not squeaking or causing misfiring during this time so the complete unit was not changed. Thinking back I should have just changed out the complete unit as preventive maintenance.

Later as routine maintenance, I replaced the coil pack, UIM gasket, DPFE sensor, EGR valve, IAC valve, throttle position sensor, plug wires & plugs with new parts so I knew that these parts were not suspect. Switching out a fuel injector from another cylinder did not help either. It was always cylinder 4 misfiring.

The camshaft synchronizer is very easy to replace when using the plastic alignment cap that autozone provides through the loan a tool program. Just don't tell them that you purchased the part at Rock Auto for 50% less than AZ! LOL!

Next I am replacing the 02 sensors after getting a P0133 code. They are due to arrive on Thursday from Rock Auto and will be installed Friday or Saturday. Then after the sensor replacement, I am going to rebuild the fuel injectors with new screens, etc from a rebuild kit I purchased on Ebay.

I really enjoy working on this old car.

Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts