Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2001 ford taurus se, with 127,000 miles and the flex fuel v-6 engine. The transmission shifts hard from 1st to 2nd, but never misses the gears or doesn't shift ect...the transmission seems to shift very firm into every other gear, and it has not slipped yet. I have read that the epc valve sticking can cause the pressure to spike in the transmission and cause the hard shifts, has anyone else had a similar problem?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Check the main connector at the top of the tranny-they fill with oil sometimes. If the EPC does not get a signal it fails to full pressure, resulting in the condition you describe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, I sprayed the connector for the part that goes into the top of the tranny. The one that looks like it screws down in to it, it didnt change anything, Im gonna take it to a tranny shop and have them run a diagnostic on the tranny computer, Was that part the EPC?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The black switch that is screwed down is the range switch. The connector going straight into the case is the control signals for EPC, solenoids,etc. You can Ohm it out with a meter or have the shop do it. I may be able to find a pinout for the connector-let me know if you need it.

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
well, I sprayed the connector for the part that goes into the top of the tranny. The one that looks like it screws down in to it, it didnt change anything, Im gonna take it to a tranny shop and have them run a diagnostic on the tranny computer, Was that part the EPC?
There is no seperate tranny computer. The PCM controls tranny as well as the engine. Almost any OBDII scan tool will read tranny codes. They will be P07xx, P08xx, P17xx or P18xx codes. EPC is electronic pressure control solenoid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts