Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All.

A little over a month ago, I ordered a set of Disk brakes and Rotors online only to get in a smaller version of what I needed.
I went onto the site to see if it was I who made a mistake or the company. It turns out it was I.

So, they were smaller because it was the Disk brakes and rotors for the back.
That caused me to scratch my head a little, as I was unaware that the 2001 Taurus came with or without Drum on the back.

I have watched many videos on the process, and it seems rather easy, to a point.
I also read that if the car has an ABS sensor, then that needs to be considered in ordering the right parts.

So, the question is this.
Has anyone successfully converted theirs yet, or know of a place to get a kit from?
Or, would it be best to piece a kit together?

I know that most kits will run between $300-$700.00, depending on the company you purchase from and the make and model of the vehicle.

Open to suggestions.
I HATE drum brakes. I always have.
I will also be

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Sedans had Drums in back, wagons had discs.
G-4 nearly all if not all had ABS. The ABS behavior is different for discs than Drums.
-chart-

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, -chart-
I think I am just going to replace the drums with new ones.
New caliper, new everything back there on both sides.
They will not even bleed and don't think they work at all.

I have good breaks in front, but that is not enough stopping power.

I will do the drum to disk on my 81 Firebird when I start working on it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
To be honest, -chart-
I think I am just going to replace the drums with new ones.
New caliper, new everything back there on both sides.
They will not even bleed and don't think they work at all.

I have good breaks in front, but that is not enough stopping power.

I will do the drum to disk on my 81 Firebird when I start working on it.
Too bad you are not closer to me (upstate NY) I have a new set of drums and shoes sitting in the back of my kids taurus.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Open to suggestions.
I HATE drum brakes. I always have.
I will also be
Ohh come on now, beating on them for over a hour to get them off is fun! It helps you get out a little frustration from other problems on the vehicle.../s

I believe if you converted to disk brakes you need to change the parking brake setup. If I remember correctly it works by pushing the brake into the drum, so if the drum is removed...well you get the point.
You would need to replace it with something that squeeze the disk onto the rotor instead of pushing it into the drum.

I have not done this convert, and have no idea on the conversion kit, just raising a possible issue you might run into. Getting that parking brake cable back onto the brake pad...omg never again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts