Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All;

OK.
I changed out the Coil Pack on our 2001 Ford Taurus (DOHC)
Cleared the codes, ran the car for about 100-miles.
And all of a sudden, it started to act up again.
The codes are:
P0171 & P0174
Banks 1 & 2 - Too Lean

I have checked for air leaks, and cannot find any.
I cleaned the MAF Sensor and that seemed to have helped.
So I cleared the codes again, and the two codes above are back again.

Any information on what to check next, or replace, would be great.

Thanks.
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
99.9% chance you have a vacuum leak you havent found yet. .1% chance you have low fuel pressure.

What are the long term fuel trims on each bank at idle and with the engine under load (i.e., cruising at higher speeds)? High positive trims at idle that drop toward zero under load = vacuum leak.

What engine? Vulcan or Tec?

·
Registered
54 Posts
had those same codes last month after i changed my spark plugs and coil pack. When i was changing the plugs in the back, I accidently pulled one of the hoses to the MAF out of place and had a vacuum leak. Once i put the hose back in place, the codes cleared.

·
Registered
22,445 Posts
May also suspect uim & lim gaskets. Is the fuel filter due for a change? Any fuel pressure sensor codes? May check its vacuum hose for wetness/strong fuel odor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK.
I took the manifold off the car.
Looked around and checked everything, and then put it back on.
When I started the car up, it revved up for about 2-seconds and then back down.
So far, it is running and sounding like it should.
I cleared the codes and will post by the end of the weekend, on rather the codes come back or not.
If they don't, then next week, I will take the car in for inspection and then plates. (Hopefully)

Quick question.
My son was told that at the beginning of 2019, some codes will no longer be counted for passing inspection.
P0442
Is the code that I have had for about 2-years on the car.
Will this code pass or will it hinder me from passing inspection?

·
Registered
22,445 Posts
Iirc, some locales will let you pass with 1 cel code. Dunno about p0442 (small evap leak)? Have you checked evap hoses? Replaced the gas cap?

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
In some areas you can pass emissions if there are 1 or possibly 2 incomplete IM monitors, but I am not aware of any areas where you can pass the test with a failed IM monitor. An Evap P0442 code = Evap IM monitor failed = failed emissions test.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello All;

OK.
I changed out the Coil Pack on our 2001 Ford Taurus (DOHC)
Cleared the codes, ran the car for about 100-miles.
And all of a sudden, it started to act up again.
The codes are:
P0171 & P0174
Banks 1 & 2 - Too Lean

I have checked for air leaks, and cannot find any.
I cleaned the MAF Sensor and that seemed to have helped.
So I cleared the codes again, and the two codes above are back again.

Any information on what to check next, or replace, would be great.

Thanks.
Wayne
More than likely, you are looking at the lower intake manifold gaskets, as most Duratcecs as they age, end up giving the P0171 and 174 code when they wear out. I replaced my years ago and it never came back, after making sure it wasnt the PCV hose.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@SAAN
The lower intake manifold gaskets were replaced about 7-yrs ago.
The PCV elbow, I will have to check on that tomorrow or this weekend.

Also.
I had to get a tire put on the car today, and I spoke with the guy that does the inspections.
He asked me what county I lived in, and he informed me, that the county I live in, no longer does the emissions test during inspections. so, I was good to go, for getting it inspected.
And it was only $13.50 for the inspection on the car now.

Still, need to fix these issues.
But, at least now, come Monday, I will have it inspected and a newly updated plate.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
@SAAN
The lower intake manifold gaskets were replaced about 7-yrs ago.
The PCV elbow, I will have to check on that tomorrow or this weekend.

Also.
I had to get a tire put on the car today, and I spoke with the guy that does the inspections.
He asked me what county I lived in, and he informed me, that the county I live in, no longer does the emissions test during inspections. so, I was good to go, for getting it inspected.
And it was only $13.50 for the inspection on the car now.

Still, need to fix these issues.
But, at least now, come Monday, I will have it inspected and a newly updated plate.
If you remove the accordion and the plenum you can reach in and feel the elbow, shown with the red arrow. Note the ribs. OE is smooth no ribs and they fail. New design has ribs and they are OK. Pic shows the TB off but not necessary to feel the elbow.

-chart-

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing