Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Never knew there was a Taurus Club, otherwise we would have joined years ago (we've owned roughly 5-7 Taurus's). Now, while we have owned a lot of them, it's only recently I started being the "family mechanic" so bear with my ignorance.

So I recently (2 days ago) bought a 2001 Taurus SES Wagon with 140k miles with several issues:
1. Car shakes side to side when decelerating below 20mph. 90% sure this is a warped brake rotor. Haven't checked to see if it does it when not applying brake.
2. Car clunks from the driver's front side when turning/driving. 90% sure it is the sway bar link, since there is significant play in it.
3. Car makes a humming sound (almost like a single engine airplane sound) when going past 50 MPH and gets louder the faster I go. Not RPM dependent, because I shifted it out of OD and the volume/pitch was the same. I'm guessing it is some sort of wheel bearing issue?
4. Car shakes at 55 MPH, and violently shakes past 60. Guessing this is related to #3? Saw 1 of the motor mounts and it looked fine. Haven't ruled out the others yet, though.

And ideas as to what I can be would be appreciated.

P.S. How difficult is it to install an aftermarket transmission radiator? I know how notorious the transmissions are on Tauruses, and want to counter that before I am forced to do a rebuild.

Thank you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hey folks. Never knew there was a Taurus Club, otherwise we would have joined years ago (we've owned roughly 5-7 Taurus's). Now, while we have owned a lot of them, it's only recently I started being the "family mechanic" so bear with my ignorance.

So I recently (2 days ago) bought a 2001 Taurus SES Wagon with 140k miles with several issues:
1. Car shakes side to side when decelerating below 20mph. 90% sure this is a warped brake rotor. Haven't checked to see if it does it when not applying brake.
2. Car clunks from the driver's front side when turning/driving. 90% sure it is the sway bar link, since there is significant play in it.
3. Car makes a humming sound (almost like a single engine airplane sound) when going past 50 MPH and gets louder the faster I go. Not RPM dependent, because I shifted it out of OD and the volume/pitch was the same. I'm guessing it is some sort of wheel bearing issue?
4. Car shakes at 55 MPH, and violently shakes past 60. Guessing this is related to #3? Saw 1 of the motor mounts and it looked fine. Haven't ruled out the others yet, though.

P.S. How difficult is it to install an aftermarket transmission radiator? I know how notorious the transmissions are on Tauruses, and want to counter that before I am forced to do a rebuild.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum! Here are my thoughts on your issue:
#1 could be related to brakes but don't rule out a worn suspension, subframe mount, or tie rod end either. braking will put strain on those parts and if worn out can cause the symptoms you describe. as a side note to brakes - my experience has been that rarely are rotors actually 'warped', more often they just have built up brake and grime residue causing that pulsing feel. 4-5 really hard brakes from 60mph down to 10mph can burn off that residue and reduce or eliminate the pulsing.
#2 sure sounds like a sway bar link and easy/cheap enough to replace it and see if it fixed it.
#3 I agree, that sure sounds (pun intended) like a wheel bearing. if bad enough that could also be a cause of #1.
#4 my guess is this is probably either a wheel balance/alignment issue or related to #1 if you find a badly worn suspension/tie rod.

Let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey folks. Never knew there was a Taurus Club, otherwise we would have joined years ago (we've owned roughly 5-7 Taurus's). Visit AutoGuysLand to review what rpm should my car be at if you concern. Now, while we have owned a lot of them, it's only recently I started being the "family mechanic" so bear with my ignorance.

Thank you.
I haven't this issue, so i'm not sure what i can help you. According what i read you can try to take a look at these following things. Good luck to you.
1. Car slunk, can you try to rule out leaking CV boost?
2. it could be bad bearing wheel caused the humming noise.
3. Car shake violent could be warped brake rotors if they’ve been worn too low, or worn unevenly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the welcomes and replies.
My current plan of action is to get a spare rim/tire that matches the ones currently on Lily (name of the Taurus) from the local Pick-and-pull. Then, wait for the 2 Moog sway bar links to get shipped here from Rockauto(I got 1 for only $9 because of closeout :D) and put them on and see what/if any problems that fixes. Hopefully, the clunking will stop, but I don't expect the humming to. After, I'll get new tires for Lily (since 2 of the tires are bad, 1 of which is down to the wire) and see if that fixes anything.
Question: is putting a new link on any more difficult than your standard car, or is there a bunch of things I will come to find I have to do other than just unbolt, jack/hold the suspension up, put the new one on?

·
Registered
492 Posts
nothing special to replace the end links

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jack up front end and SAFELY SECURE. With tires still on tight, face the tire and grab each side and give it a good wiggle left and right. It should be totally tight with no play. Do the same grabbing tire top and bottom. If there's any play, get a helper to locate what looks loose.

If all is tight, inspect and grab sway link and jerk on it a bit. Usually this and a visual inspection will confirm good or not.

If breaks are wearing unevenly then grease or replace clips the pads set on, as well as the caliper slide pins, which often freeze up and need lube.

And the obvious, CHECK YOUR TIRES. (Edit: you said they're bad, so that might be it) A simple nail or broken belt might hide from you and can make a humming noise similar to a bearing.

The struts commonly get really bad at that mileage and really should be replaced if they haven't been. Front springs can blow on these.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For checking the wheel bearings, find a S-curve road where you can go about 45mph. On a left turn, the rumble from a bad left wheel bearing will get lower. On a right turn, the rumble from a bad right wheel bearing will get lower. Also, on a left turn the rumble from a bad right wheel bearing will get higher. On a right turn, the rumble from a bad left wheel bearing will get higher. This test will load and unload the bearings and change the noise depending on the direction of the turn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info!
Currently very busy on a new building I'm making, but plan on getting back to the Taurus (and hopefully my '83 F100) soon. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dont rule out your lower control arm bushings. I can feel a few clunks when turning my wheels. Already did inner and outer tie rods.. next is LCAs ( have to replace lower ball joint when replacing LCA), sway bar end links, and shocks. I use Rock Auto also. Cant beat their prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts