Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Amazing what new lenses will do. Note halogen bulbs slowly over time decrease the amount of light output.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While that is true, her headlights with new halogen bulbs were awful. The new headlights I bought now have mini h1 projectors installed using 5k HID bulbs, wired in with a separate harness activated with a standard 30/85/86/87 relay.

·
Registered
64 Posts
While that is true, her headlights with new halogen bulbs were awful. The new headlights I bought now have mini h1 projectors installed using 5k HID bulbs, wired in with a separate harness activated with a standard 30/85/86/87 relay.
Thanks for reply.
At 73, I need all the lighting I can get without blinding opposing traffic. Im seriously considering your solution. I previously added combo fog/driving mini lights with relays, so I should be able to properly wire the HIDs. If you had to do it again, what would you do differently?
Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply.
At 73, I need all the lighting I can get without blinding opposing traffic. Im seriously considering your solution. I previously added combo fog/driving mini lights with relays, so I should be able to properly wire the HIDs. If you had to do it again, what would you do differently?
Bob
Bob, that is the same reason why I wanted to provide better lighting for my mother :) She has terrible night vision so at least she should now be able to go to the store without feeling completely helpless. It was not very difficult a project, just a bit time consuming, although I would recommend testing where you mount the projectors multiple times before you tighten them into the housing or secure the lock nut (depends on the projector you buy and how it attaches). Because I don't live with her I used my best guess on where to secure the projectors inside the housing and sealed everything back together, only to later find they were imperfect. Not the end of the world and fixable, but could have been avoided had I had the car to test them on during the initial process.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus SE
2 Posts
Can you share where you got the projectors and how you mounted them to the housing? I would like to do this to mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2007 Ford Taurus, and I noticed the headlights seem to be complete crap on this car. I thought it was just me till I read on here lots of people had the same issue with this model. Many people on here were talking about a aftermarket wiring kit for the headlights that go from the battery to the headlights, bypassing switches and relays. I decided to give it a try, and holy cow, what a difference!

I purchased this harness kit

and new headlights...brighter ones.

was pretty easy to install. Just wired up to the battery, plugged headlights into the new sockets and routed them to the existing locations, then plugged in the new harness relay into the existing connector, this tells the lights to turn on and use high or low beams. No modification needed. But wow, much much brighter, I can now see at night!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts