Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly fixing things on the Taurus that was recently gifted to me, but one thing that drives me mad is the drivers side window can ot be cleaned. It's like its scratched to a haze in about a 6 inch oval where I look out. Its not totally blocking my vision, just ugly! For someone who is green to mechanic work is this a replacement I could do? Or would this be better suited to have a pro do it? I also do not have many tools, although looking for reasons to invest in more. Thanks for any helpful words.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
The window is held to the raising mechanism ( regulator) with rivets and need to be drilled out. I seem to remember that you can use short bolts for re-installation or buy the rivets from the dealer. I swapped doors out on my 2001 Taurus and removed the old window as a spare. You may also have sand or grit in the weather stripping that is causing the window to scratch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The window is held to the raising mechanism ( regulator) with rivets and need to be drilled out. I seem to remember that you can use short bolts for re-installation or buy the rivets from the dealer. I swapped doors out on my 2001 Taurus and removed the old window as a spare. You may also have sand or grit in the weather stripping that is causing the window to scratch.
Thanks! And I'm pretty sure you are right on sand and grit! The car hadnt seen a bath in a few years, such a shame. I'm trying to bring her back, just not very mechanically inclined for bigger projects.

·
Super Moderator
8,051 Posts
If scratches arent too deep, get a glass polishing kit with the polishing compound (Cerium oxide) and the buffing wheel and try buffing the area out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts