Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents; Have a weird dome light issue with my son's Taurus. When I open either of the back doors the dome light comes on. However, when I open either of the front doors the dome light does not come on. When I use the remote key fob to open the doors, the dome light comes on. When I rotate the dash board dimmer switch to max, the dome light comes on. In the old days we had a door light switch which screwed into the door jam....no such animal in today's cars.. It's my guess the switch is part of the door lock assembly but I can't find any info relating to this. To me, it seems highly unlikely both front door switches r bad so the problem is something else. Before I dismantle things and mess with the sea of wiring in this old car, I thought I would check with u gents first.....any one experience a problem like this who would like to help?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading ur reply I soaked both front door latches with wd-40 to no avail. I then did more reading and discovered the GEM....I like to think body control module....might b the problem. I will take that module off and clean and spray it with contact cleaner. Since I'm retired, I have time to pursue this but would rather watch TV and drink beer. The misses has a fairly new Honda, both boys have older cars and I've got a Hundai. They all have needed semi serious maintenance.....shocks, brakes, timing chains, fuel pumps, radiators etc etc. which I've somehow rectified. Too bad the boys don't thank me and the misses still gets mad for little to no reason then makes me sleep on the couch....I get no respect!

·
Super Moderator
8,008 Posts
Still a chance the issue is the latch switches. The GEM / SJB tends to be very reliable. Take off the door card.... super easy on any Taurus.... a few screws and christmas tree fasteners) and locate the door latch switch. It looks like a smallish cylinder with a 2 wire connector and is a PITA to get to for replacement. Blast the snot out of the switch and the inner latch assembly with WD40, open / shut the door a bunch of times. Repeat the process a couple times. You might get lucky.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff great suggestion to look closer at the latch switch. However, logically, since opening either of the front doors do not make the the dome light come on makes me think it's more than a latch switch....two switches rarely fail at once. However, u stated the GEM rarely has an issue. Since the latches r easy to get to, I'll dive into them and go from there.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes, both latches can and will fail. a voltmeter, schematic, and investigation will work wonders, you don't even have to disassmble door. There is a connector just inside door hinge jams. Possible broken wire inside accordian boots.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gents......I stayed up late reading last night and even paid 20 bucks for an online Mitchell manual for one month. I looked at the wire diagrams several times and came to the conclusion you gents are on to something. This morning I took off a front door panel and pulled the socket connector from the latch. I put a paper clip in the connector and I'll be darn.....the interior light came on! I then had to put everything back together sans the door ajar connector so my boy can drive the auto. I've ordered a Motorcraft switch and will install it when it arrives. You guys saved me a lot of time and frustration....thanks. However, can u help me with one more problem? During my trouble shooting I noticed when I use the remote there is no horn beeping or lights flashing. Since I don't want to stay up late reading another night, can u gents tell me if the remote is supposed to beep and flash the lights....all r other autos do flash and beep when using the remotes. Thanks my friends!

·
Registered
229 Posts
What is the trick to getting at the switch? I had the LF door panel off on my '01 and couldn't access the switch. It was in a blind area where I couldn't get any fingers or tools in there to replace the switch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kestas...I did not want to go there but yes, getting to that darn latch is not something I want to do again. The "secret'' is to get a #27 star bit and remove the three latch screws from the door jam first. Once the latch is loose, you can maneuver the latch around to remove the lock rod and door handle rod as well as the two electrical connectors. There's also this goofy steel sandwich clamp that holds the door handle rod guide in place.....you'll do some cussing removing and replacing that critter. Just go slow have a beer and try not to get too frustrated. Don't forget the gents on this site have been there many times but don't have the time to go into all of the small details of a repair but you can do it. Good luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
The last time I tried I told myself I'd have to drill out some of the assembly that is riveted together to get it apart. I decided the switch wasn't that important.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To an old retired fuddy duddy like myself, not seeing the door ajar light and not having the front door unlock with the switch is almost as bad as the misses burning the potroast.....and this is not my car, it's my boys. Although, I did see several big rivets there is no need to drill any of them out to get to the latch. Once u have the latch in your hand it is a cake walk to replace the bottom switch plus it's not an expensive part. I also have the right door that needs a switch replacement and will do it. If u don't mind living with the above problem then I envy you.....but I lost sleep worrying about a door flying open and surprising my boy while he was driving around a corner!

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,401 Posts
Gents......I stayed up late reading last night and even paid 20 bucks for an online Mitchell manual for one month. I looked at the wire diagrams several times and came to the conclusion you gents are on to something. This morning I took off a front door panel and pulled the socket connector from the latch. I put a paper clip in the connector and I'll be darn.....the interior light came on! I then had to put everything back together sans the door ajar connector so my boy can drive the auto. I've ordered a Motorcraft switch and will install it when it arrives. You guys saved me a lot of time and frustration....thanks. However, can u help me with one more problem? During my trouble shooting I noticed when I use the remote there is no horn beeping or lights flashing. Since I don't want to stay up late reading another night, can u gents tell me if the remote is supposed to beep and flash the lights....all r other autos do flash and beep when using the remotes. Thanks my friends!
I think with the standard Ford fob, they don't flash or trigger the horn. I added an aftermarket remote (Cobra), which uses both

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put an aftermarket remote in my other boy's car, 2005 Malibu with the ecotek 4 cylinder....which will outrun that Taurus's Briggs and Straton like 6 cylinder....that funky distributor replacement with the injector synchronizer had me scratching my head. After reading the remote box looked easy to wire in but it was a nightmare to actually install. After reading your post, looks like I'll have to do the same for the Taurus....thanks Don2775

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you push the lock buttom on the remote twice in succession do you get a beep? Do you have a digital menu somewhere in the car that sets up those choices?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, the horn beeps if I press the lock button on the remote two times but that's it, no lights flash nor beeps any other time. The car is a plain Jane...no digital anywhere. I have an extra Prestige remote system in a box that I can install but I'll have to sweat over the hieroglyphs like wiring diagrams and spend a bunch of time under the dash. What gets me however, is cars from the 90s would flash the lights when using the remote.....if in fact the early 2000s Taurus's were not supposed to flash the lights, what was Ford thinking? Just a thought, however, maybe the flashing and beeping will work when I get and install the new door ajar switches...wishful thinking!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts