Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am having a very terrible misfiring problem. I had A 2000 Duratec Mercury Sable motor put in my 2001 Ford Taurus. It was basically the same motor except for the coolant out line was on the wrong side... anyway.. It ran fine for about 20,00 miles. :D

I had this pretty much same problem 3 years ago and I took it into the shop because I was frustrated and just wanted it done right. They told me it was the catalyctic converter. I couldnt afford to change all three so they just changed the third one after the y pipe turns into one pipe on the exhaust. The thing ran perfect for about a month when my car was accidentaly :angry:stolen by my drunk friend:angry: and he caused front end damage.

It actually still ran perfect but the whole front end was smashed in but it was my only car and my insurance wouldn't cover it so I drove it to and from work for 3 months and it ran fine.

It started running funny so I parked it 2 years ago it and bought a new car.

I though this whole time that it was probably wires plugs and a new coil pack because the shop fixed my problem. So I put all brand new wires, plugs, and a coil pack. and now its misfiring/putt puttin' again.:(

I had a very good mechanic come over with a little computer and it came up with 5 code error things.

-DPFE
-ECTS (coolant temp sensor)
-Low coolant sensor which is not low

and two other not important ones he says.

He told me to change the dpfe sensor and the ect sensor. I have not changed them yet. I will be shortly, though I'm worried It may be another problem. I am unsure.

Now I will explain what its doing and what I have done.

When I start it up it has a little bog/misfire feeling and revs up to about 2000 rpm which is normal but it never drops down. It will stay around 2000 rpms and rev up and down slightly. Now if I shut the engine off after about 30 seconds of warming up and restart it it will rev to 2000 then drop down to about 900 to 1000 rpms. It doesnt idle smooth it drops and rises slightly but it has a very uneven or weird misfire/shake. and sometimes it doesnt do it. But always does it when I rev up fast or put a load on it.

I remember that the problem did start and for a week progressivly got worse.

When I put it in drive if I drive so slow or basically rev the engine up very slowly it runs great with no misfire. as soon as I try to go it feels like one cylinder isnt firing at all. with an ocassional giant boost of power.

What its doing is pretty much the same problem I had 3 years ago when I took it to the shop to find out it was a catalyctic converter. but now I am starting to think I got ripped off for 600 dollars.:angry:

Im sure a have multiple problems with one leading another to act up more.

The engine mechanically has only 55,000 miles on it but everything else has 166,000 miles.

I will be changing the DPFE sensor and the ect sensor next. I will keep everyone informed as I go.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Trying to narrow down whats going on here.:) thanks for reading

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Post ALL of the trouble code Numbers your friend found.

If you don't have, or can't remember the trouble code Numbers & the CEL light is lit, most autoparts stores will scan the computer at no cost, so have it rescanned & write ALL of the numbers down & post them here, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I'll add that if the car has been sitting for 2 yrs the gas in it is BAD.
I wouldn't even try starting it untll you get the old out and new in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old post, but was looking at misfire issues... MAF sensor will make RPMs erratic also. It's easy to get to, in the large air intake hose right after the air filter. Try cleaning first with MAF spray cleaner (auto parts store, cheap). I had an old volvo with that problem, had to buy a new sensor and that did it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts