Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Taurus with the mach audio system and it has to go! I know there is a radio install kit on the market that keeps the digi climate controls($$$) and the more common one is the 3 knob install kit that most local shops carry. My Question is: Can the digital wire harness in my car be modified to work with the manual knob version?_ My local shop says no, but they would say that even if there was, just to upsell the more exspensive kit. below are pics of the metra kits (digital & 3knob version )Thanks for any info. Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
No, and yes...

There is a thread around telling how one very persistent individual was able to convert his manual HVAC system to electronic. You could just reverse his process. It will take much time and many parts from a "donor" vehicle. You will have to completely remove the entire dashboard (not just the trim panels) and change out various hardware and harnesses.

What you say you want to do is not impossible, just may not be worth the effort/expense when compared to the much more simple path of using the correct kit. The proper kit is most likely less expensive when you figure in the value of your time as well as the parts required from the salvage yard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just buy the digital metra kit, you will be much happier with it, and you will have the nice climate control. There is a price gap but for my digital metra kit i only paid $171 which i belive is a respectable price. You would have much more than that invested if you purchased the manual climate controls then switched it over. Also it would be much more pain free and more tan likely will work on the first shot...lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Way am I pulling the dash! Metra is looking better and better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another Question: While the (radio/climate control) unit is out of the car has anybody had the unit opened up?_
Is it one solid board inside the unit behind the face (top to bottom) for both radio and climate controls?_
I had noticed when mine was out about a year ago,(when looking at the back/side) that it may have two sections inside (probably not) but if it does have two boards behind the face(one for Clmt.Ctrl. and one for radio control) Then cutting the radio section off and fabricating/glassing in a stantard DIN installaton kit may be possible. I can do excellent ABS/fibeglass/carbon/wood finish work, so cosmetics are not an issue.

If anyone knows offhand what the insides look like, please educate me. Other wise I will be checking it out tonight and will let you know if this is at all possible.

Anyway just thinking out loud, I know I'm really reaching. lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is also a thread where an industrious user did just that. He custom fiber-glassed a stock radio face, hacked the circuit board, and cut a DIN hole in the ICP (maybe double-DIN, I don't remember).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I think I will try this once I have the funds for the metra, just in case it doesnt work out. Thanks everybody for the input.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Just for accuracy's sake, you do not have to remove the dash to retrofit the EATC system into a car built with manual knobs HVAC. It has already been done by a handful of people in the Taurus community, starting with TaurusKev and myself.

If
someone wants to go to the effort of swapping to EATC (figure 4-8 hours of work to install everything, and requiring intermediate- to expert-level experience with wiring and electronics) then the Metra kit with the climate control buttons can definitely be used.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Similar question..I think!

Getting ready to do some car audio this weekend and have a few questions..........Background - So I bought a 2001 Taurus, it had a manual control kit with it and and a crappy aftermarket stereo in it, and wiring that looks like it had and amp ( saw some unplugged rca cables are hiding under carpet, and I see the blue amp wire). I ditched the stereo and kit too as it was chewed up looking. I bought a new manual control Scoche kit, and I have a Pioneer stereo and the wiring harness I need. I have done this before on an older Taurus. Another reason I tossed the old kit was this car has AC/ Heat control issues (basically doesn't work, although it will blow heat only on full blast highest setting) and I was hoping that was the problem. But looking at the wiring it looks like (there are) extra wires (from the factory wring harness) with nowhere to go and something seems wrong.

SOOOO now I read this thread and...
1) I think perhaps this car had digital climate controls and the previous owner (who for many reasons I've found with this car is a certified moron) hooked up his crappy system anyway best they could, although that meant leaving loose wires and not having climate controls? Sound right?

2) Also...I know how you run the green/grey/white cable pack to the trunk etc, but what is the presence of those rca cables I see under the passenger side carpet going to mean for me? Is there additional work I am going to have to do in removing those / or rewiring the speakers?

3) This might be unrelated... On one battery cable there is this weird clear solenoid looking thing about a foot down the cable. Is this something to do with the amp/power?

I really like the Pioneer deck I have and the car has Pioneer speakers in the back and Sony up front.

I can do photos later but at work now!
Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just swung by a car audio place, guy pretty much told me what was up with the speakers wiring, etc, but said without the original dash, and given the wires are cut, he can't say if the car had digital climate or not. Called the dealership with VIN, they said same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cool, Thanks! That website says that I do have the manual hvac. Glad too because I just saw the price on the electronic kit! With that and the info from the stereo guy I should be able to do this install. Then I can address the hvac system next

1 - 13 of 13 Posts