Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the metra kit.
Stereo works great now but no locks, windows, speedo. the airbag light flashes many times then stays on.

I have checked the fuses. don't know what to do now.
It's my son's car and the windows are down. Yikes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ricky

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Did you check all the fuses? Perhaps you did something during install without realizing it that caused a momentary short and blew out some fuses.

Even if it seems unlikely, it's the easiest thing to check, and when diagnosing a problem, you always check the easy things first.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Not sure about a G4, but I know that on a G3 the locks & windows run off of a 30a fuse in the under hood fuse box. Whenever doing audio ( or anything electrical for that matter) mods on a vehicle, it's a good idea to disconnect the Neg. battery cable before starting work. Did you cut into any wires or use a harness adapter?

·
Registered
606 Posts
In case you don't know, the most chronic source of electrical problems can be traced back to installing an after market radio.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
^+1 I have repaired/finished many a poorly executed DIY install.

·
Registered
3 Posts
have you solved this issue? I too just ran into this same problem on my gf's car

the wires to power the aftermarket headunit touched and shorted the car...radio, power door locks, power windows, interior light, trunk release button, idicator lights, gauge cluster dont work, airbag light flashes a code 18

but the power seat, heater blower, dash lights, power mirrors work, and the car starts too

can anybody help with this?

ive been trying to do some reading and some people made mention of the bcm, pcm, ecm, or sjb are bad or something

any advice will help, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
How did you check the fuses? Just look at them or measure resistance with a DMM? Did you check fuses in the underhood fuse box?

·
Registered
697 Posts
You may have to pull the radio and carefully examine the wiring of the harness. Perhaps a ground wire got disconnected - they are usually black or green. Check for any unaccounted for loose wires. Very easy to miss a connection when you're working in a cramped, dark environment such as that around the dash.

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
Check fuses with a DMM. A visual check sometimes wont show the burned out area very well.

·
Registered
697 Posts
One other possibility - you may have damaged

one or more of the electronic control modules.

I don't know much about them but the Ford Service DVD I have refers to a network of electronic modules:
  • Powertrain control module (PCM)
  • Restraint control module (RCM)
  • Remote climate control (RCC)
  • Generic electronic module (GEM)
  • Anti-lock brake system module (ABS)
Unfortunately, that's all the info my DVD provides about these modules. The names infer that the Restraint control module affects airbags, the Climate control module the heating/cooling and the Generic module has some programmable characteristics like seat belt warnings and the door locks.

You may need to take it in to the dealer for diagnostics :(...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Someone I know knew someone who put a stereo in an 03 or so taurus and he had similar problems, they never let me know what happened though. When I first heard it, i thought the GEM was bad. This is the module on the fusebox in the floor board. I have seen them go bad and cause no locks and no windows, among other things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts