Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2001 Taurus SES and we are trying to get the air conditioning to work, and we noticed the clutch isn't engaging, nor is it blowing out cold air. We checked to day and noticed that the freon is (nearly) empty. Before I by freon would being empty on Freon cause the clutch not to engage?

Thanks Much.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Definitely-that could be a reason.

The fuse under the hook could be checked, but I doubt it that is blown.

Why your at it, can you get a can of 134 that has dye in it, (second can doesn't need the dye, save the cash) but not have any sealer in it. Therefore if you have leak, you will see it where the lines connect at under the hood. Low and high side. If it has a leak at the connections then you will know why. If not and the 134 added makes things cold/cool then your leak maybe in evaporator (in the dash board), hard to get to but leak maybe so slow you won't have to take the time or money and time to replace.

Check condenser also, in front of radiator for dye leaks. Maybe a rock hit it while driving causing damage, but probably not.

I hope you see a leak on the lines after charging otherwise could be leak at condenser or evaporator.

scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! I do that tomorrow and report any findings. Hoping it's just because it's empty, my cousin who is somewhat knowledgable of cars said that there's a sensor that stops it from working. When we checked the freon it sounded like an inter-tube being deflated then it stopped all together.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't know if cousin is speaking about sensor. Maybe means pressure recycling switch located on top of the canister/accumulator/black in color usually under hood. on top of it is a pressure switch whose reponsible for regulating temp. in case something is not working in the car

I don't believe that is where the problem lies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could it be in the relay, because if you manually turn the clutch it'll move (so according to my father the clutch isn't locked up), it seems that it's not getting power?

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
With eng. idling and ac and fan turned to max, unplug it and jumper it with a u-shaped paperclip to see if compressor engages. If not , unscrew and replace. Cheap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2001 SEL. When i first bought it last summer that AC did not work. Also when i used the defroster the idling of my car went up and down 1000+ rpm's every few seconds even while driving. I was told by a couple people it was the A/C compressor and it was big bucks to have done. So i went through the summer without the ac, However this winter the compressor seized up and belt wouldn't go. Had to have it towed and had a rebuilt compressor put in cost me $465 And now this summer blows nice cold air. So if the compressor is no good i just wanted to let you know what could happen

·
Registered
328 Posts
wbandy--you mentioned $465. for compressor. Did you do the work yourself?

If someone else did it--did that price include accumulator, flush lines, and recharge w/ 134?

Can you educate me on why rpms would go up and down due to compressor that wasn't working?

·
Registered
15 Posts
wbandy--you mentioned $465. for compressor. Did you do the work yourself?

If someone else did it--did that price include accumulator, flush lines, and recharge w/ 134?

Can you educate me on why rpms would go up and down due to compressor that wasn't working?
I did have the work done at a garage and i just checked the slip. The total was $465 for rebuilt compressor,recharge,labor, And taxes.. I did not see anything about lines flushed or accmulator..But after he did that the A/C is REAL cold.
As far as why the rpm's would go up and down im not sure, But i remember my friend pointing out to me the very otter edge of the compressor's were the pulley is that part that goes in and out which he said was the clutch. When it went out to go on the engine would idile up and then 5 seconds later it would go back in and the engine would go back to normal.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for checking you bill to see if included accumulator. I did brother in laws car and put in compressor but also accumulator.

How long ago did you get the compressor replaced? I plan on doing my sable soon, maybe i don't have to flush or replace accumulator if you didn't and is still cold. I imagine he vacuumed the system to remove the moisture. Maybe he didn't, I guess he could have plugged lines at comrpessor very quickly after opening and then closed quickly when installing compressor to avoid moisture entry. Wish I knew what he did.

Guys at shops usually write everything they do so show why they charged what they did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts