Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired vehicle with no access to its history. All fuses (from engine box and dash box) and lamps are good. All wires under dash are good. There is a light rust on exposed metal parts under the seats and dash--thus setting up the potential for corrosion or water damage. What DOESN'T work: cruise control (about 1 of 5 tries I am able to see the "CRUISE" dash light go on when trying to put it in diagnostic mode--otherwise it is always off), fog lights (dash indicator does light), lamps under floor mounted shift lever bezel, all lights on rear lift gate including high mounted brake, reverse, and license. And probably the most annoying issue is the warning chime sounding for 5 cycles of 5 chimes each at start-up and about every 30 minutes while running (seat belts are fastened). Thanks for any leads!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just acquired vehicle with no access to its history. All fuses (from engine box and dash box) and lamps are good. All wires under dash are good. There is a light rust on exposed metal parts under the seats and dash--thus setting up the potential for corrosion or water damage. What DOESN'T work: cruise control (about 1 of 5 tries I am able to see the "CRUISE" dash light go on when trying to put it in diagnostic mode--otherwise it is always off), fog lights (dash indicator does light), lamps under floor mounted shift lever bezel, all lights on rear lift gate including high mounted brake, reverse, and license. And probably the most annoying issue is the warning chime sounding for 5 cycles of 5 chimes each at start-up and about every 30 minutes while running (seat belts are fastened). Thanks for any leads!
For the Lamps under floor mounted shift lever bezel, there are (2) #194 bulbs that are probably burned out, you will have to removed 4 screws in console, and 1 screw on each side of the console and lift console up to replace the bulbs.

For the all lights on rear lift gate including high mounted brake, reverse, and license, at the top of the hatch when opened, you will see 2 rubbers corrigated tubes that the hatch wire harness runs thru -- there you will probably find broken wires -- which were caused by wire fatigue due to the opening and closing of the hatch over the years the car was in service.

For the cruise control, I would start by opening the hood and checking to see if the cruise control cable is still attached to the throttle or if it is broken.

Also check out the topic finder for additional help.

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
From what I remember reading there is an issue with the wire harness in the rear tailgate that can cause issues. Might want to search that and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
THANKS! You were right about the lamps under the shift cover bezel--they were burnt. I got the cruise control working by removing and taking apart the on/off switch from the steering wheel and cleaning the contacts with denatured alcohol--the alcohol made all the difference. I couldn't find a broken wire on the lift gate so I just ran a new ground wire to one of the negative connections on one of the two upper mount brake lights and that provided a new ground for all the lights on the lift gate including the reverse lights and license plate lights--so that all works. Now all I need to do is figure out how to stop the 5 cycles of 5 chimes every 30 minutes--oh and the fog lights!

·
Registered
200 Posts
THANKS! You were right about the lamps under the shift cover bezel--they were burnt. I got the cruise control working by removing and taking apart the on/off switch from the steering wheel and cleaning the contacts with denatured alcohol--the alcohol made all the difference. I couldn't find a broken wire on the lift gate so I just ran a new ground wire to one of the negative connections on one of the two upper mount brake lights and that provided a new ground for all the lights on the lift gate including the reverse lights and license plate lights--so that all works. Now all I need to do is figure out how to stop the 5 cycles of 5 chimes every 30 minutes--oh and the fog lights!
Roger,

You are making great progress.

Have the fog light bulbs been checked to see if they are burnt out ?

At the say time you can check for corrosion of the light bulb socket ? If they are corroded clean them up and apply dialectric grease to them.

If the bulbs are ok, and the sockets are ok, check voltage on the connector with a voltmeter or a test light !

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Fog Lights

I had to read the book to find out how to use them. :angry:

I turned the head lamps on, pulled the switch for fog, nothing!

Oh yes, they say the engine has to be running. Bummer.
I doubt many people ever use them, or know how to use them.

-chart-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts