Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, Overheated the original vulcan and replaced it with a 7x,xxx mile vulcan from an 02 taurus. I looked over the engine before I installed it and didn't see any oil leaks, in fact the engine was fairly clean.
The problem, First start in the morning my wife has a long steep climb to get to her Job. The car will start smoking from the right rear of the engine(Approximatly where the rear manifold joins the exhaust pipe) about 1-1 1/2 miles up the hill. I am kinda thinking that since the engine is relativly low miles, it has been sitting a while before I bought it and maybe the rear valve cover gasket is dried out or cracked causeing a slight seep. The car also sits on an incline overnight so maybe a little oil leaks on to the rear manifold overnight causing the smoke to be more promenent first drive in the morning. I tried looking behind the engine for leaks but the upper intake gets in the way of a good view. What I can see looks clean and dry.
It is also very hard to diagnose because she allways takes the car in the morning, May need to get up on a weekend and take it for a spin up the hill. I have driven the car up the hill after she gets back from work with only a small amount of smoke after I open the hood at the top, no noticable smoke while driving. I know its not antifreeze but it also dosen't seem to smell like oil, More like burning rubber that burns your nostrels and Eyeballs.
BTW, the smoke clears up after she gets on a level road making me even lean more towards the rear valve cover gasket.
Any commen leaks on these engines in that area or am I just going to have to start replacing gaskets? Starting with the VC gasket.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it seems more like burning rubber and burns your eyes and nose it might not be oil.
Check for leaking hydolic fluid. Brakes and power steering.
You said right rear but is that seated or facing? Better yet drivers or passenger side.
Drivers side check for master cylinder leak? Passenger side power steering leak?

There are a lot of coolant lines on the firewall but coolant has a unique odor and a leak would eventually be rather obvious in the reservoir tank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ask any parts man or mechanic, Right is passenger, left is driver. Not Power Steering and the bottom of the engine is dry, no visable leaks. It hard to really tell where the smoke is coming from, could be anyplace in the rear of the engine and just blowing over to the right side. I am pretty sure its the VC gasket with a slight seep but will probably either need to find a small mirror or pull off the plenum to figure it out for sure.

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
Ask any parts man or mechanic, Right is passenger, left is driver. Not Power Steering and the bottom of the engine is dry, no visable leaks. It hard to really tell where the smoke is coming from, could be anyplace in the rear of the engine and just blowing over to the right side. I am pretty sure its the VC gasket with a slight seep but will probably either need to find a small mirror or pull off the plenum to figure it out for sure.
Take it easy on Runt, Rayar :). You would be amazed how many novices don't realize that right and left are from the car's perspective. You have relatively few posts at this time so you shouldn't hold it against him. Although if you did an engine swap I think we can safely figure you know right/left and front/back :D!

I think you are on the right track with the VC as it matches your symptoms. Coolant or PS fluid leak should get worse when running while sitting still, not better. A slow VC drip when at rest is a pretty good bet. Get some light in there and take a look with an inspection mirror. It may just need snugging up. Hit us back with your findings

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Runt, Didn't mean for it to come off as being rude. Just have been a bodyman/mechanic and a parts counterman for about 30 years total and since I aquired a nice selection of tools and equipment over the years I had my own shop for about 5 years before we moved to Hawaii. Right now just don't have the time to diagnose this properly, I also don't have the tool selection I had as I sold most of them or have them in storage on the mainland. The right/left thing is second nature to me.

I will need to pull off the plenum to get a better look, tried a mirror and just couldn't see what I wanted. Everything I could see was dry and that has me a bit concerned because if there is no leak I am not sure where to look next. These little annoying problems have me allmost to the point of throwing in the towel and trading it in for something newer/nicer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taking a video isen't a bad idea but The plenum is easy enough to remove. Might have time tomorrow after work. Was just hopeing someone may have some insight on the common leaks of these engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts