Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Sable wagon, the drivers side power door lock switch will lock but will not unlock the door(s). The passenger side works fine in both directions as does the key fob remote and the outside keyless entry.
I replaced the switch with a new one from Ford and it still won't work. I even tried the old switch on the passenger side and it worked in both directions. Bad wire? Ground ? Does anyone have a wiring schematic? Has this happened to anyone else and what did you find to be the problem?
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
my 02 sables drivers side lock is just free spinning, it wont lock or unlock and frankly it doesnt bother me, when im in an area i dont trust i just push the lock down. otherwise i just lock the car, and if someone opens the door when i forget to push the lock down the alarm goes off anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (s2knott @ May 8 2009, 01:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723593
my 02 sables drivers side lock is just free spinning, it wont lock or unlock and frankly it doesnt bother me, when im in an area i dont trust i just push the lock down. otherwise i just lock the car, and if someone opens the door when i forget to push the lock down the alarm goes off anyway.[/b]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the wiring schematic on Autozone's website. It was for a 2004 however, it appears to be the same for a 2001. The pink wire with a light green stripe controls the unlock function. I traced the wire to where the break was. It was broken where I thought it would be; inside the rubber boot where the wiring harness passes from the door pillar to the door itself. Made sense since this is the only place where the wire flexes everytime the door is open. I spliced it with a butt connector and then soldered each end to ensure it won't pull out of the connector. I used a piece of heat activated tube insulatation to ensure it stays properly protected. These work nice with a blow drier to ensure a good seal.
Works great now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is some great info on this site that I have used to fix my 01 Taurus I just bought.
The first issue was a bad DPFE that would cause the car to jerk around at slow speeds.
I registered mainly to expand on this thread so others might benefit.

I had the situation of all door lock switches operating correctly except the drivers switch. The drivers switch only unlocked but didn't lock any of the doors.
The remote fob worked correctly and the passenger switch worked correctly.

Thinking that it was a bad switch, I went to the wrecking yard and got a low milage replacement switch, but that didn't help.

After further investigation, the problem with mine was the wiring that goes between the drivers door and the body. Right where they bend and flex, I had a broken wire and 4 others with cracked insulation.
After repairing, the lock switch works perfectly.
This should be the first place someone checks if you have a similar problem.

The Pink wire w/ light green stripe is the unlock wire and the Pink wire w/ yellow stripe is the lock wire.

I hope this helps someone figure out the problem with their lock switches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts