Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have a GEM issue, but am not sure. Here are the symptoms when the ignition switch is turned on: 1.The driver's window immediately rolls down and will not reverse. (Had to remove the one-touch relay in order to keep the window closed, but now the rocker switch for driver's window will not operate in either direction) 2. If wipers are turned on intermittent or activated through the washer button, they will not turn off until turned to normal position and then off. 3. If headlight switch is in Auto mode the headlights will not time out and turn off after ignition is turned off, or if they are already off they might come on unexpectedly with the ignition off.

The only common element I can identify is the GEM. Is there a procedure to "re-boot" the GEM? How can I troubleshoot the GEM? If the GEM has to be replaced can I use a junkyard part and if so how do I Identify a direct replacement?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The GEM is next to the inside fuse box. The whole GEM can be replaced. Plug and play. You will have to pull it to read the part number on it. Check Fordparts.com for the schematic and location. You could also have a bad ground wire that is loose or not making good connection!!
There is a ground by fuse box in cabin. Check that one and the ones you can see near battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys! All the ground connections looked good so I went to Pull-A-Part junk yard and pulled a GEM from a 91 Taurus ($13). It had the same part number (1F1T-14B205) but a different Key Code. Plugged it in and it fixed all the problems! Interestingly, the junk car did not have Key Pad keyless entry on driver's door handle, but the Key Code on the junked GEM worked on my Key Pad! Using the instructions in the owner's manual I reprogrammed the GEM to my old code and now the Key Pad and my Key Fob both operate just like the original. Life is good!

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Thanks for the help guys! All the ground connections looked good so I went to Pull-A-Part junk yard and pulled a GEM from a 91 Taurus ($13). It had the same part number (1F1T-14B205) but a different Key Code. Plugged it in and it fixed all the problems! Interestingly, the junk car did not have Key Pad keyless entry on driver's door handle, but the Key Code on the junked GEM worked on my Key Pad! Using the instructions in the owner's manual I reprogrammed the GEM to my old code and now the Key Pad and my Key Fob both operate just like the original. Life is good!
Yay! :clap:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I just bought a GEM and fuse block for $25 at my local wrecking yard. I pulled it and got relays, fuses, Fuse block and GEM. Have a 2003 that is needing it changed. Was good practice pulling the one from the yard!! Painful on an old guy!! Glad that it worked out for you. GEM at dealer is $544 !!!!! We did good~~:lol2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope it works as well for you, Downhill. It is a bear to get to, that's for sure. Especially when you have to pull it to get the part numbers, re-install until you can find replacement, then pull again in order to install the replacement. The dealer told me that they no longer sell GEM's for my '01, but the junked GEM I found was a plug-and-play. Now all I have to do is figure out what's wrong with the instrument cluster lights going off at random! This started long before the GEM went out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts