Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Sable that idles too fast. It seems like I am always braking to slow it down, yet, when stopped at a light, the idle does not appear to be too high RPMwise. I am somewhat concerned that on snow or ice, it may be difficult to stop. Has anyone encountered this issue? Is there a way to reduce the idle?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2001 Sable that idles too fast. It seems like I am always braking to slow it down, yet, when stopped at a light, the idle does not appear to be too high RPMwise. I am somewhat concerned that on snow or ice, it may be difficult to stop. Has anyone encountered this issue? Is there a way to reduce the idle?
[/b]
Same Problem here just bought 2001 SEL 24v DOHC .Have changed AIC valve did not help .No engine light on??I have check all vacuum lines!!Today changed pcv and cleaned TB.I will see tomorrow if it get any better :blush:

·
Registered
13 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Same Problem here just bought 2001 SEL 24v DOHC .Have changed AIC valve did not help .No engine light on??I have check all vacuum lines!!Today changed pcv and cleaned TB.I will see tomorrow if it get any better :blush:
[/b][/quote]
No change still starting problem / later slow to drop rpm/and idling 500-700 fluctuate .Still no engine light on??? :rolleyes:
Millage not to impressive either 17.00 mpg or 13.8L/100km

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds familiar. I wonder if the throttle position sensor could have something to do with it. No codes here either. Otherwise, it runs great, just too fast.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds familiar. I wonder if the throttle position sensor could have something to do with it. No codes here either. Otherwise, it runs great, just too fast.
[/b]
What puzzles me is no Engine Light(Codes)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine idles at 900 RPM too. I think that might be error in the tachometer as my service manual says it should be 650 RPM I think.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Mine idles at 900 RPM too. I think that might be error in the tachometer as my service manual says it should be 650 RPM I think.
[/b]
In park and neutral, the car idles higher than when it is in gear (such as reverse or drive).

·
Registered
13 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
In park and neutral, the car idles higher than when it is in gear (such as reverse or drive).
[/b][/quote]
I Can live with That high Idle speed but I dont like slow engine response when I take take foot of accelerator pedal and start to brake but engine veary slowly responding to drop rpm's from 1500 rpm to 700 :angryfire:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sticky TPS or gummed up butterfly linkage, and rod ?
Stretched spring ? Gummed up IAC ?
Have you removed the battery and tray and checked out the vapor recovery system for leaks ?
They usually dry our and crack right where they hug the block and bell housing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you removed the battery and tray and checked out the vapor recovery system for leaks ?
[/b]
TB is all cleaned and and moves easy .I checked an greased Throttle Cable today !!Will check vapor recovery tomorrow :notworthy: Tnx for Help

·
Registered
13 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
TB is all cleaned and and moves easy .I checked an greased Throttle Cable today !!Will check vapor recovery tomorrow :notworthy: Tnx for Help
[/b][/quote]
My vapor canister is small and sits on right side of firewall with small solenoid valve on top ( I could't dissconect all hoses but it looks ok) I also cleaned MAF sensor today & cheked for codes(none) :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you recently ran any cleaners through your fuel system ?
[/b]
Like I said I bought this car 2wks ago!I just added Injector cleaner 100km ago (2days) .Millage not impressive 13l/100km that's 50/50 hwy-city :eek:

·
Registered
189 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Like I said I bought this car 2wks ago!I just added Injector cleaner 100km ago (2days) .Millage not impressive 13l/100km that's 50/50 hwy-city :eek:
[/b][/quote]

That's about 18.1 mpg if I did the math correctly.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
My vapor canister is small and sits on right side of firewall with small solenoid valve on top ( I could't dissconect all hoses but it looks ok) I also cleaned MAF sensor today & cheked for codes(none) :confused:
[/b]

That's the vapor cannister vent solenoid valve. Not he actual vapor cannister. It should be in the back under the trunk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

That's about 18.1 mpg if I did the math correctly.
[/b][/quote]
Yup You are correct listed milage 17 city 25 Hwy that makes 21mpg at least :dunno:
I got same improvement after MAF cleaned or my injector cleaning fluid started to work rpm's went down idling 650 warm 1200 cold !!! :salute:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am getting about 25-26 mpg in combined driving. Maybe 70% highway and 30% city.

I cleaned my MAF also but no RPM change.

I also only use Shell V-Power so I am guessing my injectors are pretty clean.

Still, RPM is 900 high.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts