Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 3F1T-18C830-AA CD changer for a really good price and was wondering whether or not I could use it in my '01 Sable LS-Premium. I currently have no CD changer and when I select "CD" on the radio the display says "No DJ". If the car was ordered without the CD changer will there still be the wiring and connector back inside the trunk? I have no center console, as I have the column shifter. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
What you can do is grab a harness (the connector is in the trunk, as well as the brackets to mount it. I actually have a changer harness and the brackets/screws/clips. I don't have the magazine though. If you're interested, shoot me a PM. It is essentially plug and play, just plug one end of harness into the radio control unit, then connect the power, ground and connect to the Changer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Where inside the trunk should I look for the connector and brackets; are they just buried under the carpeting? Is there a certain place it gets mounted in the trunk? On my Marauder it's mounted on the driver's side in a recessed area, which the Sable also has. It is nice to know that Ford provided the wiring even though they never ordered the changer to be installed. The CD Changer I am getting has the brackets installed on it, but no "magazine". I wanted to make sure I could use it before I went and purchased a magazine for it. Thanks for helping this "newbie" out...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The brackets, etc will not be installed. The power lead that the CD changer harness plugs into will be there, as well as the plug on the amp. On a Taurus/Sable, the factory mounting point is in the vertical position, in the driver's side back corner. Brackets bolt to the two walls. I can grab a picture if you want. Just cut some slits in the carpet if you don't want to go in search of proper Sable carpeting.

If you are getting the brackets, that works. But you will still need the harness for your cd changer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the harness you have, part # F8FF-14588-CA? Is this the correct harness? Also, where do I acquire the 12V from for the CD Changer? Do you know where I can get the magazine and its part #? Thanks, again, for all your help...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You'll need a CD changer harness out of any 97-07 Taurus or 97-05 Sable. Part number for it doesn't really matter, as the wiring was never altered, just length of cable. :)

Here's a pic of the cable:

The small gray plug is for 12v power. There's a circle clip you need to ground out (bolt nearby is used for that).

Magazine part # is 3F1T-18C833-AB
You can also use Clarion part # (the guys who sold the changer to Ford): CAA-397 (I have one in my changer).

Search for Ford part number on eBay as well as the Clarion version. Use different iterations and use the search "titles and description" checkbox.

Hopefully you can have the CD changer up and running soon.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
PM sent.
Thanks Dogg! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts