Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2001 Ford Taurus with a 3.0. Last couple of weeks it has been 'misfiring' in idle. When I start up the car, the engine shudders and shakes randomly like extra random heartbeats. When I am driving, there is no problem and the random shaking goes away but if I come to a stop light or sign, the engine will randomly shake again. Does not seem to affect the driveablilty of the car but is worrisome regardless. My check engine light suggest misfiring in cylinder 3 after checking the code. Any suggestions

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
Did you replace the plug wires too?

Even if the CEL isnt on, look for pending codes.

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
Pull the #3 plug and and carefully inspect the insulator for hairline cracks and correct gap. A number of years ago changed plugs on perfectly running Grand Prix GT 3.8 since they had 90K miles on them. Car ran like CRAP after plug change. Cyl 5 missfire code set within a minute or 2 of running. Pulled plug and found cracked insulator. Replaced offending plug and car ran perfectly once again. Just because parts are new doesnt mean they are good.

What happens if you put the original coil pack back in?

Could also have an intake gasket leak on #3 causing the missfire due to lean air / fuel ratio.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pull the #3 plug and and carefully inspect the insulator for hairline cracks and correct gap. A number of years ago changed plugs on perfectly running Grand Prix GT 3.8 since they had 90K miles on them. Car ran like CRAP after plug change. Cyl 5 missfire code set within a minute or 2 of running. Pulled plug and found cracked insulator. Replaced offending plug and car ran perfectly once again. Just because parts are new doesnt mean they are good.

What happens if you put the original coil pack back in?

Could also have an intake gasket leak on #3 causing the missfire due to lean air / fuel ratio.
It seems like when I put in the coil the one that was previously in there it’s running a little rough but I don’t know if it’s the coil or misfire number three and OK I’ll take a look at that and thank you for your advice

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
My 2001 developed a #3 cylinder misfire only on start up and not all the time. Seemed like when the car sat for a day or so. I replaced that wire and plug to no change. I also thought that coolant was leaking into the cylinder over night causing the misfire. I finally removed the upper intake manifold and found the gasket compressed over the years. Replaced the gaskets and fixed the problem.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2001 developed a #3 cylinder misfire only on start up and not all the time. Seemed like when the car sat for a day or so. I replaced that wire and plug to no change. I also thought that coolant was leaking into the cylinder over night causing the misfire. I finally removed the upper intake manifold and found the gasket compressed over the years. Replaced the gaskets and fixed the problem.
Thank you for the input I’ll check into that also. I hope I fine the problem soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you've replaced the primary causes already - plug, wire and coil, I agree on the intake seal and also suggest checking EGR vacuum line - one that comes from the right engine head through valves and on the back side of the mass air flow sensor - when you remove the hose from the front (left) head - engine keeps running ok, but when you remove the hose from the back (right) head - the engine starting running rough due to vacuum leak...
on the bottom line - try starting the engine - remove the back hose from MAF sensor right after the air filter - if the engine keeps running rough - you got your cause. if the engine quits - look elsewhere....

·
Registered
2001 Ford Taurus LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you've replaced the primary causes already - plug, wire and coil, I agree on the intake seal and also suggest checking EGR vacuum line - one that comes from the right engine head through valves and on the back side of the mass air flow sensor - when you remove the hose from the front (left) head - engine keeps running ok, but when you remove the hose from the back (right) head - the engine starting running rough due to vacuum leak...
on the bottom line - try starting the engine - remove the back hose from MAF sensor right after the air filter - if the engine keeps running rough - you got your cause. if the engine quits - look elsewhere....
Ok thank you I’ll check that also. So far nothing I’ve checked has worked. I’m getting a compression machine today to check that out. Thank you for all your help and replies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts