Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace the front struts on my 2001 Taurus. I've seen where you can remove the control arm from the steering knuckle or just loosen the two screw on the subframe for clearance. Does anyone have a photo and instructions on how to loosen the two screw on the subframe? On the A1 auto video (ie.Youtube), they just use a hammer to tap the knuckle down to gain clearance for removing the strut.

What is the best way to do it, lower the subframe or tap the knuckle down for clearance?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i take the lower control arm out with the strut. i normally replace the ball joint and tie rod while i got it out. i find its easier to do it this way and less chance of doing something to make the car fall off the stands

·
Registered
405 Posts
I lower the subframe 1.5-2 inches... the video is fine up through taking it out, but notice when he puts a new strut assembly next to the old - the new one is taller - then he puts the old one back in.

Out is almost as easy as the video (though you can't fast forward when you do it), going back in with a new assembly isn't (though I used KYB's for the fronts on mine).

Edit - you may want to look at this: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/118...869-how-replace-front-struts-2000-taurus.html

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just did the fronts on my 2001 SE the other day. The new ones (Monroe quick struts) went in fine. The axle to transmission mating on the drivers side was a bit critical, though. I did not lower the sub frame or remove the a-arm.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The axle slipped out of the trans on the drivers side when I R&Red the old to new strut. I ultimately loosened the axle flange which allowed more movement by the axle shaft for installation. I should have paid more attention to it in the first place to avoid issues.
In retrospect if I had to do it again I would probably consider knocking the drivers side tie rod end loose to allow more control of the knuckle. The passenger side was a cake walk other than the pinch bolt took a little heat to loosen up.
There is certainly no wrong way to change struts on these cars. I was just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for those who replied. Looks like I either can replace the struts will out doing any extra removable per the video. Or at least, I can lower the sub frame for added clearance. Are there any pics of the sub frame and bolts that need to be removed?

Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
not seeing any pics around right now ( do a search on subframe, you're bound to comeup with something) -

just follow the subframe back on one side and you'll see the head of an 18mm bolt pointed straight down - then the subframe forward up under the deflector and you'll find another. Note: you need to support the car on jack stands - AND - put the jack underthe subframe on the side you're working on - loosen the subframe bolts on that side 1/2 in. to 1 in. - you don't need to remove them - and lower the jack until the subframe just kisses the bolt heads - don't let the full weight onto the partially unscrewed bolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts