Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as the title explains, my car wont shift into over drive. Cruise control works, all the other gears work, fluid level are good, has a new transmission range sensor, but yet still no over drive? 24 DOHV 3.0L 2001 ford taurus. I have heard that a clip can break inside the tranny and cause the issue as well as a bad solenoid. I just want to hear some other opinions and knowledge on this subject. Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to "autozone" and didn't get any codes from the diagnostics. Sometimes the transmission light comes on and blinks but it shuts off when I park and turn the ignition off. Their is no check engine light either. Everything works good, it just deosnt want to shift into 4th gear(overdrive).

·
Super Moderator
8,055 Posts
If tranny light was on, there will be codes (possibly pending codes) stored assuming the battery was not disconnected to clear them. Maybe the AZ counter jockey did not bother to look for pending codes or didnt know how to access pending codes, or, most likely, has zero clue that pending codes even exist.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
It's also even possible the counter jockey used a reader that doesn't read trans or body codes but smart money is on incompetence. Jeff is spot on, if that light came on at all (even if it subsequently went off) the code was stored. Unless it was cleared it is still there.

IIRC, not sure if '01 MY had an independent fuse for OD but there was a thread a while back where the only thing wrong with OD was a blown fuse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2002 Sable with a Duratec and a 4F50N. Purchased new--at about 60k miles, the transmission started acting up and I changed the fluid and filter. For the next 20k miles the transmission shifted like it was new. Acting up again at 80k--changed the fluid and filter again--transmission shifted like new for about 2k miles. The acting up (delayed/harsh shifts) returned and the transmission now refused to go into overdrive.

Time to pull the transmission.

The pictures tell the story:
1) The OD band was missing friction material near the apply point of the OD piston pin.
2) The OD servo bore is shaped like an egg--the 5r55N/W in the Explorers are also notorious for this.
3) The pin of the OD servo piston also has damage from chewing up the OD servo bore.

ODband.JPG

ODbore.JPG

ODservo.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts