Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2001 Taurus which was bought while living in Tennessee. I moved to Canada and brought the car with me. While going thru the import process the car set for about 1 year. I had a few modifications to do and so forth. Anyways, after getting it ready to drive in Canada my husband drove the car to the cottage which is about 250 miles from home. It set at the cottage for about 4 days and on the way home the transmission fluid blew out underneath. The car was towed to a chain transmission shop. The shop stated they wanted $500.00 just to drop the transmission and see what is wrong with it. The car has approximately 125,000 miles and is a 6 cylinder. Does anyone have any suggesons?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
They should be able to give you an estimate without dropping that transmission.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could be as simple as a failed pan gasket. Another possibility would be the cooling line. Sometimes a loose or lost transmission pan bolt could be the cause as well. They typically don't have a great deal of torque applied since they are small bolts. The first step in troubleshooting this would be to get the car up in the air and observe where the fluid is coming from. Most shops can do a simple diagnostic which is typically charged as 1 hour of labor or roughly $40-$65. From there they should be able to determine whether the leak is one of the simple possibilities I mentioned or a seal elsewhere in the transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (mercman5_0 @ Jun 7 2010, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810162
Could be as simple as a failed pan gasket. Another possibility would be the cooling line. Sometimes a loose or lost transmission pan bolt could be the cause as well. They typically don't have a great deal of torque applied since they are small bolts. The first step in troubleshooting this would be to get the car up in the air and observe where the fluid is coming from. Most shops can do a simple diagnostic which is typically charged as 1 hour of labor or roughly $40-$65. From there they should be able to determine whether the leak is one of the simple possibilities I mentioned or a seal elsewhere in the transmission.[/b]
Wow, I am shocked that they didn't offer to do a diagnostic check on this. Thank you I will check in to that as well.

Queston, sometimes the transmission did stick when I would take off from a light or stop sign. It would hold back for a couple of seconds then go. Can that also mean the same things you listed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
With that symptom its either something more serious or its been leaking for a while(at a slower pace) and the fluid level was low.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts