Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - My '01 Ford Taurus SEL 24v DOHC Duratec v6 shows a check engine light and needs a "Transmission Range Sensor"(TRS). I am planning to replace it myself. Could someone tell me where is the TRS located on this engine? Is it accessible from above or below? Do I have to remove some parts in order to access it? I looked online and youtube, but did not find this for Duratec engines. If you have done it yourself, then please also let me know how to replace it with the new part. The new part is available for $53 (Duralast) at Autozone and $80 (Motorcraft) at O'Reillys. Thank you in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Hello All - My '01 Ford Taurus SEL 24v DOHC Duratec v6 shows a check engine light and needs a "Transmission Range Sensor"(TRS). I am planning to replace it myself. Could someone tell me where is the TRS located on this engine? Is it accessible from above or below? Do I have to remove some parts in order to access it? I looked online and youtube, but did not find this for Duratec engines. If you have done it yourself, then please also let me know how to replace it with the new part. The new part is available for $53 (Duralast) at Autozone and $80 (Motorcraft) at O'Reillys. Thank you in advance for all your help.
Directly below the master cylinder. There will be a cable to a lever on top.
-chart-

·
Registered
23,104 Posts
May use the search feature up top. Iirc, there are some tutorials with pics here on the forum. Maybe in the forum Topic Finder and/or Wiki.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May use the search feature up top. Iirc, there are some tutorials with pics here on the forum. Maybe in the forum Topic Finder and/or Wiki.
I tried that first, but nothing relevant came up. Could you post a link?

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
320 Posts
I did not follow. Do I have to remove any part to get to it? Your chart did not attach. Please try again. Thanks.
:LOL:
Chart is part of his username.

I'm not sure if this is the same as the VSS but if it is, then go with the Motorcraft. Don't use an aftermarket.

I checked - it's not the same as the vehicle speed sensor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Just to update, I ended up talking to a mechanic and found that the TRS is under the air intake assembly. So, I do have to remove that to expose the sensor. I ordered Motorcraft sensor online OEM at $35. It did not have any instructions. Will be replacing it soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts