Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All;
I rented the toolset from Advance Auto to do the job.
I picked the only size that would fit the original, which is slightly bigger than the original.
However, it is the right fit for the new inner tie rod.

Now, I placed it on the nut, and when I try to loosen it, it will not do anything.
If anything, it just slips.

Any advice on getting this da** inner tie rod ends off?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cannot make it work.
I am going to take this kit back tomorrow morning and get the other kit they have and HOPEFULLY, that kit will work.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
328 Posts
The set I rented to do my 500 was extremely worn but did do the trick in the end. I checked two other sets they had and they were also worn.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every time I would turn, it would slip off.
I tried and tried and tried, but, nothing.
After an hour, I just gave up.
The one the guy first showed me, was a HUGE, compared to the one I chose.
And the only reason why I chose the one I got, is because it is the same type as the one the guy used in the video I watched on how to do it.

I will grab the other one tomorrow, and HOPE, it works.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hello All;
I rented the toolset from Advance Auto to do the job.
I picked the only size that would fit the original, which is slightly bigger than the original.
However, it is the right fit for the new inner tie rod.

Now, I placed it on the nut, and when I try to loosen it, it will not do anything.
If anything, it just slips.

Any advice on getting this da** inner tie rod ends off?
Do it yourself tool. I used it last year. Works fine.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
22,820 Posts
Fwiw, I had a real stubborn one on a '99 tec. Had a neighbor weld the tool to the nut and tried a 2' 1/2" dr. breaker bar and eventually an extreme torque (1250 breakaway ft. lbs.) 1/2" dr. impact wrench. Lost a HF tool but got 'er dun, lol!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't use a DIY tool, like what you have Chartmaker
Reason: There is a hump before the nut.
So, if I was to use something like what you have in the picture, it would not fit over the hump.

Sheila, I am hoping it does not go that far.
I will post back later on in the day on rather I got it off or not.
And to think, I have to do the driver's side as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sometimes there is a different dimension between the old and new. Is it possible that the old tie rod is SAE? Have you considered a set of crow's foot wrenches from HFT? Get both sets, figure out which one fits, return the other. Use half inch drive extensions that the male end is 3/8" with a big breaker bar.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went back to Advance Auto and swapped it out for the set the rep was going to give to me the other day.
Damn sure wish I would have taken it, instead of looking at the one I saw in the video.
The bigger joker has every size you would need and is right easy to use.

@chartmaker, the picture of the tierodNONO, is what was on the car.

This the tool I used
Powerbuilt Kit 135
The wrench pieces are great.
From the smallest to the largest of Inner Tie Rod nuts.
It fits and does a damn good job.

For the one which was in my car, the tierodNONO.
I had to place the open end wrench piece on first, then maneuver the took on it.
Slide the keeper in place, and then HOPE it was setting good, then turn.
Took three tries on it.
My son helped with the driver's side and it took ONE try on it, and we broke it loose.

So, all good.
Just need a front end alignment done.
I also replaced the Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link's on both sides as well.
So.
Inner/Outer Tierod ends
Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link
Both sides.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Set I used on my 2000 Taurus work great. Purchased online As I didn’t want to deal with what you’re dealing with and I wanted to know how it was done as the last time I took my 2000 Taurus in and had it done an 18-year-old kid was standing there with a tool and a smile of supremacy and was never going to allow that to happen again.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went back to Advance Auto and swapped it out for the set the rep was going to give to me the other day.
Damn sure wish I would have taken it, instead of looking at the one I saw in the video.
The bigger joker has every size you would need and is right easy to use.

@chartmaker, the picture of the tierodNONO, is what was on the car.

This the tool I used
Powerbuilt Kit 135
The wrench pieces are great.
From the smallest to the largest of Inner Tie Rod nuts.
It fits and does a damn good job.

For the one which was in my car, the tierodNONO.
I had to place the open end wrench piece on first, then maneuver the took on it.
Slide the keeper in place, and then HOPE it was setting good, then turn.
Took three tries on it.
My son helped with the driver's side and it took ONE try on it, and we broke it loose.

So, all good.
Just need a front end alignment done.
I also replaced the Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link's on both sides as well.
So.
Inner/Outer Tierod ends
Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link
Both sides.
View attachment 216160
Congratulations on getting er done. Always a feeling of self reliance when it’s back together and running. And now you know how it’s done. Good for you and your son. Good for you and your son.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Local Autozone did not have inner tie rod removal tool. So used this tool. Looks like an exhaust clamp. There are many others are like it. Worked ok. A bulge on inner tie rod near the hex part doesn't affect this tool. A bit fiddly. Have to tighten the nuts on the loop. But did not have to tighten all the way. Just enough to grip and not slip on the hex part of inner tie rod. Found that the pressure equalizer tube tended to come out unless it was exactly centered left to right.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts