Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me why my coolant hose is sucked shut. I know my car almost overheats while it’s hot outside with the ac on it happened today and when it cooled down I came back to check on my car and my hose looked like the picture I’m about to post.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Taurus SES 12v
775 Posts
Perhaps somebody put in the wrong hose and stretched it at both ends to make it fit.

The Duratec owners on this forum without a doubt know what this hose should look like.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Can anyone explain to me why my coolant hose is sucked shut. I know my car almost overheats while it’s hot outside with the ac on it happened today and when it cooled down I came back to check on my car and my hose looked like the picture I’m about to post.
Your rad cap should let air in the coolant tank when the system cools and the coolant shrinks. Replace the rad cap with MC cap.
-chart-

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Air pocket can cause both symptoms. System could use a good burping. Also replace cap.
I had 2 of my 4 at the time with bad OE caps. One, dumped the coolant out of the tank and all over the engine. One just seeping coolant over the top of the tank. Ford made a revised cap, and pulled the replacements from dealer stock. Not sure when they started using the revised design on new vehicles. My fails on '02 and '03.
Should be an easy check. If the hose is collapsed, just remove the cap and see if it pops back to normal. The cap has a light spring valve that lets air in to prevent suction from cooling and shrinking of coolant. It is designed to do that to prevent hose collapse, which will damage the hose.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you all for the reply, I just got a new cap and will burp the system just in case. One more question would that also cause it to overheat when my AC is on? I could drive the car all day with no problems but if I turn my AC on in street traffic my car starts to overheat both my fans work, I have a new thermostat and fresh coolant but can’t figure out the overheating issue if I turn my ac off the temp starts to drop back to normal.

·
Registered
04 Taurus SES Vulcan
84 Posts
Yes if there's an air pocket in the system, it makes cooling less effective.

Active AC both makes the engine work a little harder and heats up the coolant a bit (air passes through the AC condenser before reaching the radiator). Could be you also have some schmutz in the radiator fins.

·
Registered
23,851 Posts
Yes if there's an air pocket in the system, it makes cooling less effective.

Active AC both makes the engine work a little harder and heats up the coolant a bit (air passes through the AC condenser before reaching the radiator). Could be you also have some schmutz in the radiator fins.
^+1 on removing the bottom black plastic air dam and with a garden hose and nozzle on a warm day, spray through the grill, then up between the condenser and radiator getting both surfaces and finally through the fans getting the backside of the radiator the best you can. You'll be surprised at how much "crap" flushes/rinses out. Be prepared to get wet, lol. I'm in an area where I get a lot of dirt/dust/cottonwood fuzzies.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Make sure your radiator fan is working properly. I sent my son to alabama with a lincoln continental. He started having cooling/overheat problems. Turned out to be a cooling fan issue(the actual connector has melted/fried).

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
^+1 on removing the bottom black plastic air dam and with a garden hose and nozzle on a warm day, spray through the grill, then up between the condenser and radiator getting both surfaces and finally through the fans getting the backside of the radiator the best you can. You'll be surprised at how much "crap" flushes/rinses out. Be prepared to get wet, lol. I'm in an area where I get a lot of dirt/dust/cottonwood fuzzies.
I have hosed the condenser from front with a hose. Last did that on '03 Taurus, I removed the grille to do that. Issue was fans going to high with A/C on on warm day and sitting still.
Air dam is very important for temperature management.
Years ago, I had to drive along the St. Lawrence seaway for work. I had to hose the rad out every weekend for bugs. Big guys hatch out of the seaway. Also keep window cleaner and paper towels to keep the windshield simi-clean.
Last spring noted the central A/C vertical fan was not blowing much air up, mostly sideways. I took the screws out, lifted the motor/fan up and back. Used a hose and flushed the rad. Lots of dirt/mud and mostly dead bug parts flowing out. Then air flowing up much better.
AS to cars, everything in front of the fans is expected to get wet.
-chart-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts