Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, if it was not for fixing one thing, I would not have the exciting adventure of fixing the other annoying things that seem to pop up, AFTER, fixing the first things. (A lot of vulgar words here)

Replaced Power Steering pump a few months ago.
And then about a month later, it started leaking, from where I was not sure.
Today, I pulled it under the carport onto the ramps and found it.
(Video of the area)

Where would this be coming from?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Wayne

·
Registered
528 Posts
I would suspect its leaking upstream somewhere, like the pump area, and the fluid is running down the hose to the lowest point before it drips

·
Super Moderator
7,923 Posts
^^^^ +1

Was the replacement pump some reman cheap junk from the discount parts store or a new high quality unit?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello guys.
OK, The pump is from Advance Auto, and it is not leaking from the pump.
I checked the line coming out of the back of the pump, and it is not leaking from it.
I checked the back part of the inline filter and it is not leaking from it.

So, it is most likely the hose itself, from where the line goes into the hose, under the protected sheath.

I will have to wait until Saturday to check on the hose itself, to see where the leaking is actually coming from.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Information on the steering rack would be great.
I will update my findings on Saturday.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, all.
I was unable to work on the car this past weekend due to family issues, and rain.
But this is what I know so far.
When the car sits overnight, or for a long period of time.
It will leak steering fluid.
It sat all weekend under the carport, and when I moved it Sunday afternoon, there was a big puddle of fluid on the floor.
This is coming from the center of the car, back most part of the motor.

(As shown in the video)
So during this time, it drained all the fluid from the hose, onto the floor.
I am thinking there is a small leak on the hose somewhere.

The full assembly is shown in the picture before.
And with it being a DOHC, it is expensive as hell, compared to the OHV.

From the picture, I can say with certainty, that is is not leaking from the filter area, as it is dry on both ends.
So, it is leaking somewhere around the hose, I just need to make absolutely certain of it, before I layout close to $100.00.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For what it's worth...
About 5 years ago I had a power steering leak from some indeterminable location. I do many of my own repairs, but I gave up on this one and took it to my mechanic. It turned out to be the pressure sensor, which he replaced. I also had him replace the spark plugs and wires. Total bill: about $250.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
if its in the front, its possible that its leaking where the hard steel line is clamped to a rubber hose.
you can cut off the crimp and put a hose clamp on it. I have done this before on my gen 3.
see if it wet around the rubber/steel transition area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The high pressure line for the steering system is the part that's behind the engine and sits right above the rack on the 3.0L DOHC engine. Keep in mind that if you replace it you will create a lot of air being mixed with the fluid after engine start up. When I replaced mine, it took at least a month before normal driving purged the air out. You steering will feel real hard to turn, but give it time and it will slowing get back to normal. I did try the "lock-to lock" method of moving the steering wheel many times to purge the air but that only removed some of the air.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having the same problem with my 2000 DOHC Sable. Looking from the top, the sensor appears to be leaking. See picture. Will order a new one and replace. Also, oil pressure sensor appears to be leaking. I've replaced that on my other Sable. Not much fun getting up into that tight spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was my issue.
Just replaced it this evening, the PS Switch.
And in the process of replacing it, another sensor BROKE.
And I need to find out which one it is.

Going to create a new post, and hopefully find out the name of it, so I can get another one a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the Sensor that is broken, if someone can assist in identifying it for me.
Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts