Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I knew there was a reason for the foam.

Just poured out a full canister of foam fluid.
Been doing this for about 30 minutes now.

If there is an air leak, what is the best method to find out where?
There is no fluid leaking on the carport.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I remembered my mother had an old small vacuum. Oreck xl.
Using it for 5 minute burst, helps out some until it gets to hot and shuts off, then has to cool off for a while.

The attachment you mentioned that I would need, worked perfectly for fitting inside the hose.

It seems to be helping some.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Unable to get it to hold a vacuum? And sure it's not leaking around the mighty vac parts or part on the reservoir?

If you can't get it to hold a vacuum, you might have a leak some where.

·
Registered
36 Posts
too bad the issue wasn't the reservoir.
I would first try to let the foam settle down after turning off the engine, then top off the reservoir.
I think finding "vacuum leaks" in a power steering system is tricky. probably check the return hoses, the power steering cooler connections, etc. When I had this issue, I thought it could be a vacuum leak in the system, one thing I tried was to slightly clamp off the return hose a little bit to add a slight amount of back pressure, and see if it changed anything. In my case it did not do anything.
I also put some Lucas power steering leak stop or some RTV around on the outside of the various hose connections and areas I though could be a source of a vacuum leak, thinking it could temporarily plug up any air leak. That also did not help in my case as it was not my issue.
After doing research, I found pretty much any component could potentially be the cause of foam, pressure lines, return lines, rack, pump, reservoir, etc..
Also, I recall reading somewhere someone had to add clamps to some hose connections. Again, in my case, I just lived with it for a very long time.
Is it really difficult to steer the car?
It would suck if you replace the rack and it ends up not fixing this issue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I read this a while back when I first started researching this issue with the foam.
I went under the car and in that same area where the nut is at which the poster reference does have a nice clean shiny liquid on it.
So I am going to check it out and see what I find.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If you zoom in on the tire rod nut.
Underneath you can see fluid.
I do not see the nut mentioned in this other forum post. But I do see fluid.
Which makes me feel like it is coming from the rack.

Any suggestions on this would be Great

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
That leak will only get worse, and there is a good chance that the air is getting into the system there. Replace the rack.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Yep, that is what I am planning on doing.
I am going to look over the video I found, which shows AFTER they took it off.
And then look around and see if I can find some more information on it before I dive into this one.

This is the video.
He gives good information so I should not have an issue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The one thing which is not mentioned in the video is the steering column attached to the rack.
How do you remove it?
Do you remove it from the inside of the car or underneath?

They have in the description of the video the following.
Mercury Sable has a Motor mount on top that has to be remove in order to drop the sub-frame
Is this going to be the same for the 2001 DOHC Taurus as well?

I want to make sure I have all the information I need to go out and get this down in one shot.
Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This is also a good reference video as well.
He goes through everything with you, so hopefully, I will be able to have enough information between the two to do the job.
However, both are working with Sables, and neither have a Taurus, so the steering column is not mentioned in either video.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Lisfin
I have replaced the rack and pinion
I have replaced the power steering hose assembly
I have replaced the power steering pump
I have replaced the power steering reservoir

I am bleeding the system now
I am able to get it up to 20
This is probably the fifth time I've done it
And it is still pulling in air bubbles.

At what point should I notice that it's no longer pulling in bubbles or am I looking for another leak.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Cranked up the car and added fluid to the reservoir
Until it came level to the bottom line and the pump started taking in fluid.
We kept an eye on it for about a good couple minutes with the car running.
And there was no Sea foam coming up.
When we cut off the car the fluid level goes just a little bit above MAX line.
When we turn the car back on it pulls it just a little bit below minimum line.

So far it seems like everything is doing good and it seems like that was the issue the entire time since I replaced the rack and pinion is that it needed to have more fluid in it in order to get the air that was in it out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry , I was way from computer for a few days, glad to hear you go it fixed! The foaming issue was a annoying problem I had before I was able to use the mighty vac to get them bubble out, all the other ways posted didn't work out for me.

With the front jacked up you were pulling a vac on the tank and than turning the wheel from lock to lock and holding it at the lock for a few seconds? Than pulling a vac again if it decreased and repeat? I had to keep doing it until the vac stopped decreasing when I was doing it , problably took atleast 5 times, maybe a few more.

Did you get the foaming to stop using that mighty vac or did just adding fluid over and over finally solve the issue?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
To be honest, Lisfin.
I cannot answer that question.
I used the vac for over an hour between my son and me, and it would not hold.
It kept falling, and we kept pumping and turning the wheels, and still air bubbles and foam only when we cranked up the car.
What finally solved the issue was when I got my son to start the car, and I had the bottle ready to pour fluid into the reservoir.
When that happened, I poured until it started taking in the fluid to the pump, and it stopped making its noise, and the fluid line came up to the minimum line, and that seemed to have solved it.

Either way, it is working now, thankfully.
And tomorrow, I will get a front-end alignment done as it is all out of wack.
But it is nice knowing that everything on the front of that car is new.
I even changed out the brakes and rotors while I was at it as well and bled them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! I am surprised that you can't get the reservoir to hold a vacuum. Kinda makes me wonder if there is a air leak some where else. Depending on how small the leak is, probably wont matter if it's not turning your tank into foam soup, just keep a eye out for puddles.

When I did mine, it was able to hold for at least 10 mins, don't think I went longer, but most likely could have. The only time it would go down was when I started the car with it on there and there was air in the lines, or when I turned the wheel from lock to lock with it running, which caused the fluid level to go down and required more fluid. I could not get it to work without the car running tho.

Just curious how quickly does it lose the vac when you have it on there?

And thanks a lot for the feedback, it's good to hear more ways that might work in the future.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I did not try the vacuum once I got it to hold fluid.
So it might hold a vacuum now. I will have to check.
As for what -chart- stated. That is a possibility.
The hole in the reservoir has two small air holes on either side and the suction cup does hold well, but I do hear a leak when pumping. So not sure if the suction cup is bad or what. I know I can hold the hose with slight pressure and the air noise stops.
I just need to get a kit of different caps for this to work on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In case anyone is wondering what the blown screen looks like in more detail, I still have the old reservoir, and cut the top off. The screen was totally plugged with black debris of some sort, which I am guessing caused too much backpressure on it. Before i replaced it, I cleaned it with brake cleaner, but it did not help the issue. You can check the screen through the fill hole in a sunny area to verify if there is an issue or not. My assumption is that it was caused by a lack of a power steering filter.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 41 Posts