Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All.
(Also wanted to mention, since replacing the pressure line hose, the car only ran good for one day, about 3 hrs, before the steering got tight. Luckily this happened once I pulled up at the house. The car has not left the house since. That was on Tuesday.)

Can someone please give me detailed instructions on how to bleed the power steering lines?
I've drained the Reservoir by using the Return Line (Located at the bottom of the reservoir leading to below the radiator).
That only drains the reservoir, which is good, but now I need to bleed the lines.
When I start the car, the reservoir fills up with what looks like seawater foam.
I then drain the seawater foam by use of the return hose underneath and redo the process.
Start the car, let it run for about 5-seconds,
Turn it off
Turn the steering wheel left to right about 5 each.
Drain the seawater foam.
And repeat the process.
This, however, is NOT working.

I read on fordtaurus.net ( By -chart- )
Start and run for a minute.
Suck out foamy fluid and replace it with new.
Start and run for a minute.
Suck out foamy fluid and replace it with new.
Repeat as needed until no foam in the fluid.
Discard foamy fluid.
Maybe 3 rounds or so of this.

Could it be that I was doing it wrong, which is why it did not work for me?
I will do as -chart- stated, pump out the seafoam, and then add more fluid until hopefully it is gone?

Wayne

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did as -chart- suggested, about 8 times, and it is still as foaming as before.

Brand new "Pressure line hose& pump."

There is no leaking, so I don't see where air could get in at.
I am at a loss.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just read from this thread.
Power steering noisy, foamy PS fluid
That it might be the "Power steering Rack and Pinion Assembly."
Could this be the issue with mine, since it will not stop foaming?
I can get one through eBay with a Lifetime warranty, for under $100.00

Once I changed the "Pressure line hose" Everything went to sh*t

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Had something similar a few years ago with my 88 Turbo Coupe. Nasty PS whine and some fluid foaming that started all of the sudden for no obvious reason. Did all the usual (vacuum on PS reservoir, turn wheels with engine off and front of car in the air many many times, replaced pressure and return lines, etc, etc). No luck. Replaced rack with a NEW one (around $190) and all was well with very little bleeding. Cant complain as the original rack lasted 30+ years and 260K miles.

Never had an issue like this in almost 50 years of doing all the repairs on my cars.

Considering the hassle of replacing a Taurus rack (NOT fun!!), I would not go with a cheapo Ebay rack. A lifetime warranty is no good when the cheapo rack fails every 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the part today.
It will be in on Wednesday.
Watch a half-a** video on how to do it.
Which they explained AFTER they did it.
I think I have a general idea of what needs to be done.
I have 4 jack stands, so I will put the car up as high as the stands will go safely and get to it.
They stated in the video, about 45-minutes to take the old one out.
We will see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
One potential issue is the screen inside the reservoir got blown open. 2000 and up cars no longer have power steering fluid filters, so the screen in the reservoir can get clogged, and blown open, causing a geyser inside the reservoir, which aerates the fluid. The fluid enters at a high velocity, and the screen sort of dampens and spreads out fluid flow.
I got info from this thread (post 7):

I attached a pic as well of the blow open screen, right under the inlet port. Something like this should be sticky since I think it comes up often on these cars. I would check the reservoir before going after the rack.

I got one from the junkyard with a good screen, though I would think a generic reservoir with a good baffling/dampening mechanism would work as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really wish the top would come off so we could get a better look at it.
But I do see a dark spot similar to what is in your picture.
I am going to see if I can find one online, if not, then I will check with the junkyards tomorrow.
Thank you, Bison.
If it turns out this is the issue, I will send the Rack back.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Bison32B
Could you tell me if this would fit?
It looks identical to mine.
I don't see what it would not fit???
It is supposedly for a 97-99 Taurus

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went ahead and purchased it.
It should fit; I do not see why it would not. I honestly think it is the right part in the wrong box.

I will post back when I get it in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the 97-99 G3 DOHC uses the same power steering reservoir as the 4th gen DOHC. it shouldn't be tricky to check the screen, I sprayed the inside with brake cleaner, in a sunny spot you should be able to see the inside since the reservoir is a bit translucent. Poke around very lightly with a stick to see if the screen has blown open. The dark spots are residue which I assume built up on the screen, causing it to blow open due to back-pressure. The arrow is pointing to the actual tear, which looks like a slash.
In my case, the reservoir was the issue, the steering pump was whining for many years (crazy as it sounds, over 10 years.). if i tried to top it off with the car running, it would blow fluid out the reservoir when the car was turned off, so I just left it half empty, lived with partial power steering. If i recall correctly, two or three mechanics said Ford pumps tend to whine, that sometimes the systems don't bleed, , etc.. though at least they did not throw parts at it. I think it is not a well now type of failure.
I noticed the blown open screen one day when draining the power steering fluid from the reservoir. Did research, and found the jalopy article. Was really never expecting the reservoir to be the issue for all those years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had problems with my 2007 Taurus when I had to empty the power steering fluid. When I refilled it I had the problem of foaming and overflowing even after I tried many different things.
I tried jacking the front up and turning the wheel from lock to lock as that was suppose to get the air out, it didn't. I tried doing it while it was running...didn't work either...

The thing that finally worked for me was using a hand pump Mighty Vac. I bought a attachment for it that helped it seal on the power steering reservoir and this allowed me to get the air out.

1st. First buy a mighty vac 51MDHnR-c8L._AC_SL1125_.jpg , you might need to purchase a power steering adapter 61IZgWJ-wfL._AC_SL1220_.jpg .

2nd. Jack up the front end of your vehicle so you can turn your wheel from lock to lock.

3rd. Use the mighty vac and pull a vacuum on the power steering reservoir, this alone is not enough to fix the problem.

4th. With the vacuum pulled on the power steering, start your car and see if the vacuum is reduced, this is sucking some of the air out, but not the trapped air in the line.

5th. Turn the car off and pull a vacuum again on the power steering. Start the car again, this time turn the wheel from lock to lock. If there is air in the lines, the vacuum with go down most likely to zero.

6th. Repeat step 5 until the vacuum stops decreasing, meaning all the air has been sucked out. This should fix your issue.

I had tried many different methods and none of them worked as well as this method. After pulling the vacuum and starting the car I could tell immediately that it was working because it would suck some of the fluid / foam up into the line. After doing it a few times, it stopped sucking the fluid up and the foam started to go away and the vacuum stopped decreasing.

This 100% fixed my issue, and it only took about 10 mins to complete. You can also use that mighty vac to help bleed your brake lines easily by yourself, get air out of your coolant system and much more. It's a pretty nice tool to have, and has multiple uses.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Lisfin, thank you a bunch for the write-up.
I got in both the reservoir and the rack and pinions today.
I installed the reservoir, and nothing I did would stop the foam.
So, I took your advice and ordered everything you listed from Amazon.
It will be here on Sunday.
Fingers crossed, I will get it bleed, and if this does not work, I will start the process of installing the Rack and Pinion.

I will post back after Sunday.

Wayne

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Lisfin
It is 1:30 am, and getting ready to call it a night and thought I would send over this message, hoping you will see it will you get online.

The kit will be on Sunday (Today), and I will start performing this process you described.
I have a few questions, as I want to make sure I do this right the first time and don't mess up and cause it to go wrong, thinking it did not work because I did it wrong.

Please let me know if this is correct.

#1: Put fluid in the reservoir to the proper level.
#2: Place the "power steering adapter" into the opening of the reservoir.
#3: Pull a vacuum on it until it does not allow anymore.
(Start performing your steps here.)
4th, 5th, and 6th.

At any time during this process, will I have to remove the "power steering adapter" and put more fluid in?
(The above line is something you did not mention, so I am not sure if I do or if I do not.)

Thank you once again for taking the time.
And I sure HOPE this does the trick.

Wayne

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello, sorry if I am late, just seen your post.

For your #3, I am not sure if you can damage anything by pulling a extreme vacuum, I just pumped it up to about half way I believe...its been a few years. When you start the car it might reduce the vacuum some as it pulls out some of the air. When the air is pulled out it will most likely reduce the fluid level because that air is no longer there requiring more fluid to be put in.

When you use the mighty vac, you hook the hose from the vac to the canister it comes with, you don't want fluid getting to the mighty vac. Than from the canister you add another hose to the power steering adapter. When I did mine I was able to hang my setup from my hood so I could watch from inside the car to see if fluid was being sucked up into the canister. I was able to see it fill up some and I would turn the car off, dump it into a clean container and than repeat.

It didn't fix my problem until I pulled a vac on the power steering and had the front end jacked up and turned the car on and turned it to lock and held it a second and than turned it the other way to lock position and held it a second. Don't hold it to long at lock I hear it can cause damage. I than had to dump some fluid from the canister, add a little to power steering (don't let it get low and suck air!!!), pull a vac again and repeat. All in all took about 10 mins of doing this from what I can remember.

If you need any more info let me know ! Good luck, hope this fixes that damn foaming problem you have!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope so as well.
The tools cane in about an hour ago.
Am getting ready to head out there in a few minutes to give it a go.
Al four tires are off the ground right now.
I did that the other day to get it ready for the rack and pinion work.
Hopefully I will not have to do it.

Will post back in a few.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok.
Am at a loss.

Have the pump connected to the bottle, on the pump side.
Have the other hose from the bottle going to the reservoir fitting.
Have fluid in the reservoir, and I have pumped and I get no where. It is not pulling a vacuum at all. The needle isn't moving.

Am I doing something wrong?
Attached is a picture of the setup.

And yes. There is a hose also inside the bottle.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a small plug that fits perfectly in the top. So I am using it.
I pumped it up and it brought the fluid to the top of the reservoir but would only go to
5 on the gauge.

I continued pumping and it would not go any further than 5.
When I let off the trigger, the pressure drops to 0.

Any ideas on why it want go further?
Does this mean there is a leak somewhere around the reservoir?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pumping like crazy.
Air bubbles are coming up through the line.
So I am going to take this as a good sign
But damn, my wrist hurts.
This needs to be electric.

·
Registered
54 Posts
First make sure the mighty vac is sealed...put your finger over the hose ends and pump and see if it holds steady till you let off your finger.

If that checks out, it might mean your power steering system has a leak some where and is unable to hold a vacuum if it drops instantly and wont hold a vac.

If its sucking up bubbles and the fluid level drops a little bit you are most likely sucking out pockets of air that is causing it to foam up...keep at it and fingers crossed should fix your issue.

Your reservoir looks a little different than mine, I needed to use the adapter to get mine to seal. Just use what ever seals the best.

I see what your problem is now, your using your left hand silly!!....that is why its foaming up!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts