Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All;

From the image below, the leak is coming from around the center area.

My question is this.
Is it easy to tear these apart and repair them, or is it just going to be best to purchase a new or remanufactured one?

I have rebuild carburetors before, and this would be the first time I have done a pump.
However, this leak has been going on for nearly 2 months.
I have to put fluid in it every other day.
When I turn the wheel sharp, it sprays the fluid out, and if I am driving, it smokes up this sweet-smelling smoke from the fluid hitting the hot motor parts.
So yea, it needs something done a.s.a.p.
Either rebuilt (If it is not already shot)
Or, another unit.

And for those who have followed my post.
Yep, once I fix one thing on this blasted car, something else goes bad.

Thanks.
Wayne

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Hello All;

From the image below, the leak is coming from around the center area.

My question is this.
Is it easy to tear these apart and repair them, or is it just going to be best to purchase a new or remanufactured one?

I have rebuild carburetors before, and this would be the first time I have done a pump.
However, this leak has been going on for nearly 2 months.
I have to put fluid in it every other day.
When I turn the wheel sharp, it sprays the fluid out, and if I am driving, it smokes up this sweet-smelling smoke from the fluid hitting the hot motor parts.
So yea, it needs something done a.s.a.p.
Either rebuilt (If it is not already shot)
Or, another unit.

And for those who have followed my post.
Yep, once I fix one thing on this blasted car, something else goes bad.

Thanks.
Wayne
Pic of how the seal can be pulled. Seal is a vey low cost item. Removal of the pulley needs to be done with a high quality puller. The odd hole pattern in the pulley allows access to all bolts.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
^^^^ +1 with Mike. You can rent a Ford PS pump pulley remover / installer from many auto parts stores of buy one from Harbor Freight. Once the pulley is off changing the seal is straight forward.

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
Steering wheel puller will not work to remove the PS pump pulley. You need the specific PS pulley removal / installer tool.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Steering wheel puller will not work to remove the PS pump pulley. You need the specific PS pulley removal / installer tool.

Cheap pullers designed for press on pulleys are a real pain. This is a tool where you need the high quality tool Experience talking.

-chart-

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, been through this myself as well, with a failed pump due to high mileage. Yes it is a PITA .

In my case, took the whole pump and bracket intact - outta the car, and gave to mechanic's shop, in a box,
and requested:

"Install new pump onto bracket like the old one."

Mechanic's shop said they had trouble doing it too ... and charged me a fair amount for the whole procedure.
... but that included the cost of the new P/S pump.

Then I simply re- install whole bracket & Pump & pulley myself into vehicle.

PITA job.

Bad design by FORD.

reasons:

1. Pulley holds pump captive in Bracket

2. Special tools needed to remove pulley / difficult to remove.

3. Huge bracket sorta difficult to remove from car.

I guess part of the whole problem is the V6 engine, front drive setup, packs everything tight into the engine compartment, forcing this
sort of setup, and some of the issues.

Same sorts of problems on an old CHEV GM vehicle I had. Not much better.
Replaced the leaking seal on that old car ... easier ... was a small V-8, rear drive, but still a PITA job - all considered.

M.V.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts