Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
The brake line that needs replacing is shown in the image below.
Both sides need replacing.

I will get a roll of line to make my own and use it to replace some lines on my other car.
Knock out a few birds with one stone.

I found this line on Amazon.
4LifetimeLines 25 ft 3/16 True Copper-Nickel Alloy Non-Magnetic Brake Line

My question is this.
The fitting sizes are

• Complete Brake Line Replacement Tubing Kit Assortment - Includes 16 Fittings:
    2 x 3/16” (7/16-24) Inverted Tube Nut,
    10 x 3/16” (3/8-24) Inverted Tube Nut,
    2 x 3/16” (1/2-20) Inverted Tube Nut,
    2 x 3/16” (9/16-18) Inverted Tube Nut

Are these going to be the right size, or am I going to have to get another set of fittings?

Also, the hose size seems to be about right.
    This one is a Copper-nickel alloy.
    I chose this one for easy forming compared to the steel lines, which are not easy forming, especially to do a form like what needs to be done for the bake brake.

Any information on this would be great.
    Wayne

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
That's the good stuff for line replacement. I used teflon coated steel which was a joke and failed in less than five years. I best recommendation is to reuse the fittings if you can. I have done those small lines also and remember a hassle with the fittings on one side. I could not get one to fit properly and reused the old ones. But I also did another on on my other 2001 and had no issue. I would inspect the lines directly under the driverseat which has a black plastic cover on it to protect from the parking brake cable. It failed on all my three Taurus, two 2001s and one 2006.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just placed the order. It will be here tomorrow.
I will check the lines under the driver's seat tomorrow and see if anything looks worn.
The next thing on the list to get done is the struts.
When I drive, you can hear and feel them banging.

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
^+1. Ni-cop is good stuff! Iirc, Advance Auto or Rockauto sold those small sections of brake line pre-bent and pre-flared with fittings installed?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, Sheila.
They are around 35.00 for each side.
And I need both sides, so, minus well make my own with line to spare for other projects.
It brings me back to the days of building the fuel and brake lines for my 81 Firebird back in 94-95.
Miss those days.
Still have that car sitting out back. One day it will be back on the road again.

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
^+1. I knew those pre-fabbed short wheel sections were pricey for convenience sake, but geez, lol. I've never used them either, but had heard of them. Bet they're not ni-cop!

·
Registered
51 Posts
If I recall correctly, I think they used different sized fittings on each side that goes into the brake hose, which seems a bit strange. I purchased those Ford lines about 3 years ago, and they were about 10 dollars each. If they are so much more expensive now, I would also consider to form the lines on my own, though I think you need a good flaring tool as well.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
If I recall correctly, I think they used different sized fittings on each side that goes into the brake hose, which seems a bit strange. I purchased those Ford lines about 3 years ago, and they were about 10 dollars each. If they are so much more expensive now, I would also consider to form the lines on my own, though I think you need a good flaring tool as well.
I agree with you about different size fitting for each side. I replaced one side with the AZ short brake hose which was only a few bucks. The other side I figured would be as easy but it wasn't.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
By the way the flare type is ISO Bubble and not double flare. I was even thinking it many be double flare on one end and bubble on the other. Just look at the flare type when you disassemble the line.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I fabbed one fir this on 03 sable. Some tight turns, do get a good tubing bender. I ended up just replacing with stock part as my fab had a bit of kinking.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hope you have a good flaring tool. You never know what kind of flares you will find when you disassemble those things...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts