Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 AX4S Transmission issues - slipping between 2-3

I have an 01 Taurus with tranny AX4S that sporadically has issues going from gears 2-3. Sometime the shift is delayed, sometimes it's premature. And sometimes it "slips", whereas I can floor it, but my speed only slowly increases. And sometimes it kicks a little when hovering around the RPM's where the shift should take place. No codes are thrown.

I had a guy from my local transmission shop test drive it and he said a valve body overhaul would probably fix the issue ($400-500). I'd like to tackle it myself if it's only a matter of the valve body coming out. I understand that doesn't require the whole transmission to be pulled. What kind of kit am I going to look for? And does anyone else agree that the valve body job will probably fix the issue? Any thoughts on how long it typically takes to do the job, and will any special tools be needed?

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Welcome fellow kansas citian! Check out in the Maintenance and Repair forum the thread: Remanufactured Valve Bodies!! by ReamMan on 10-13-10. He lists an 800# for questions and tech support. Might also check out your vss too. Theres also an old thread by powertoolman conc. the valve body. Use the search feature @ top of this page. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll need to swap the tranny. Thoughts on compatibility?

As a follow up to my tranny problems, I found that there was a TSB for my year/make/model of car. It involved re-calibrating the PCM so I had the Ford dealer do it. However, it did not completely solve my problem, as the fluid now is dark and smells burnt. So, I guess I will be replacing the tranny. Someone locally has an AX4S available from a 2000 Windstar. Would this one work for me? Wikipedia shows the various vehicles that supposedly uses this transmission. Can anyone else verify this is accurate, or lead me to a better resource?

Ford AXOD transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
I am 99.9% sure all Windstars used the slightly better A4AN tranny, not the A4XS. Every 3.8 Windstar (98% of the Windstars out there are 3.8) used the A4XN, and I believe the few 3.0 Windstars also used the A4XN. You can not replace an A4XS with an A4XN or vise versa. There are also year to year differences in eaxh tranny type. Try to find a tranny from the same year as yours or get the original rebuilt by a shop that actually knows how to do it ringt.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 1999 Windstar has a 3.8 V-6 with the A4XS transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts