Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
these engines came in the lincoln continental and since the lincoln is based on the taurus/sable platform it can be done. they even use the ax4n trans. ive always wanted to do this to a gen 3 but i dont have a place to put another project
yeah its def a fun car! if you dont want to swap it yourself you can buy this!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey guys im new to the forum. Has the title says im the lucky owner of a 2001 Ford Taurus with a 4.6L power plant. It also has:
- sho front and rear sway bars
- eibach lowering springs
- custom control arms,
- custom 3 inch dynomax exhaust,
- 98 continental block and manifold
- custom fitted 18 inch 1000 Meglia Evo 5

-MAYBE IF SOMEONE WANTS TO BUY IT FOR THE RIGHT NUMBER I MIGHT LET IT GO?.

-sporthttp://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=caQa_1V5e1E

I can't help but ask how the torque steer on this thing is?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I can't help but ask how the torque steer on this thing is?
Torque steer is def there but its nothing crazy. Just enough to make fellow "street players" think twice! My favorite part of this car would probably be either the stance or the exhaust, after that its the questions I get a car shows!

·
Registered
13 Posts
K Sheldon, trying to get a part list together for everyone for future reference. so I'm assuming you used...

conti motor, trans, k-frame, half shafts exe... but conti and Taurus shocks are a little different so how did you deal with that?
pcm, pats transponder and other pats stuff from conti?
FPDM- did you use the Taurus one or the conti's?
Radiator and cowl-conti or taurus?
Other stuff to be noted?
Looks like you changed that coolant tube since your last 4.6 thread.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am currently in the process of doing this myself your car was my inspiration. I am working on this as a viable option for the replacement motors for our gen3 v8 SHOs as parts are becoming hard to find. As I progress I will post pics and such. I just bought the powertrain for a conti. I plan to add the cobra heads and intake, since the conti 4.6 is basically a detuned cobra. The after market on the 4.6 is so vast. I figure with the right tools and my machine shop out back I can do it. I have heard of a MTX swap for the SHO V8 and I am looking into doing it on this too. If its applicable.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah I will keep you guys posted. But I am working on this slowly. So it might take a while. I am going to use another gen3 not a true sho cause mine is still running great and is un molested. Still below 100k on her. Only mods done are the cam weld. Plan on keeping her stock till she blows. I am going to use a model like the ses for a mule to test it then make blueprints on how to do this. Including machine specs and harness pinouts. My goal is to have one that can slap a vette. Ill keep you guys posted and I could use some info on the MTX swap I tried talking to kurt, I think is his name, no reply. NESHO is the one working on it. If no further info can be found Ill work something out on my own.

·
Registered
189 Posts
K Sheldon, trying to get a part list together for everyone for future reference. so I'm assuming you used...

conti motor, trans, k-frame, half shafts exe... but conti and Taurus shocks are a little different so how did you deal with that?
pcm, pats transponder and other pats stuff from conti?
FPDM- did you use the Taurus one or the conti's?
Radiator and cowl-conti or taurus?
Other stuff to be noted?
Looks like you changed that coolant tube since your last 4.6 thread.
As for the struts guys the Taurus will work or the conti too. they have the same mounting points. No issue as far as I can tell and as for the 60 degree to 90 degree. Guys have you had the tank off of a v8 SHO. There is plenty of room back there. Like 3 four inches easy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Hey guys im finally back. Ive been driving the car as normal got all the kinks worked out. Right now im doing some studying and surfing the net for some more car parts for my car. Idk if you guys visit this site but shosource.com has parts for our taurus that would otherwise be hard to find. Ive actually been thinking on a turbo kit for my car based off of the design for the gen 2 and 3 turbo design. For all of you thar have asked about what parts you need for the 4.6L swap, you need an engine and a tranny, possibly control arms, pcm and egine harness, and alot of custom electronic work. If im able to build the turbo kit ill be sure to post pics of the build as I get the process going. The main part that seems most difficult is the header pipe for the turbo and where the down pipe will be routed.

Thanks for all the love you guys have given me for my car. Its not for sale any longer unless you have a really good number that I couldn't deny. I just cant imagine putting that much blood sweat and tears in a car and thwn selling it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So when you say lots of electronic work? Can you specify a little such as did you just tie in to the factory harness of the car or did you use the conti? Any help is much needed and wanted sir.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dont get me wrong i know ill have to have the engine harness but when adapting to the bull did you make it stand alone or what

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Dont get me wrong i know ill ve to have the engine harness but when adapting to the bull did you make it stand alone or what
Im gonna be 100% honest. I don't know where to start. Its kind of something you have to test yourself. Keys is the first thing. Think about all the stuff that the conti had that the taurus dosent. Its literally a puzzle. I had ALOT of help with wiring.

·
Registered
189 Posts
OK so thinking making this a stand alone type is leaning on the easier side in my eyes. If you can think of anything specific that would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I saw two 4.6L V-8 InTechs at the LKQ yard in OKC today. Completely unmolested. I don't know how many miles were on them, though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Already have mine. Got it from u pull it. Bought the whole car for 300 dollars. Wrecked in the back but it still ran and drove. Kinda... Drug the back wheels.It's just setting out back till I get more money and parts. Working on finding out what the mtx they used to swap into the mtx 3gen sho. That's so I can start machinging the parts I need. As for the harness I am going to run a megasquirt on it. As i plan a turbo application. Shooting for pretty decent hp.if any one.knows about the mtx swap please let me know!

·
Registered
14 Posts
IIRC the gen1&2 SHO MTX was used.

I'm sure you can find this information over at SHOForum. There were 3 or 4 Gen 4 Tauri with 5 speeds. There is also a really knowledgable fabricator guy up in Canada who dropped a Yamaha into a 2003 Bull. He's currently building he own version of the SHOGUN with turbo.

Wonder what the weight difference is between a Taurus and Conti?

81 - 100 of 109 Posts
About this Discussion
108 Replies
35 Participants
Pinnie the Wooh
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing