Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 24v taurus wagon. I have had three mechanics look at this guy so far. I have had tie rods, wheel bearings, motor mount, trans flush, PCV, new tires, balanced and aligned. Everything looks tight and flawless.

Here is the issue: When I hit 45mph the car "rumbles" under load only. I thought torque converter but no mechanic agreed after driving. I am at a loss. The trans shifts flawlessly. The most recent mechanic is suggesting a misfire, but there are no codes. The car had an issue with blow-by but after changing the PCV the issue seems to have stopped as it is not burning any oil.

Does this sound like a misfire? Would the misfire only be noticeable over 45mph? Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I don't know if matters, but at (or over) 45mph the TC is locked. So then, the engine is connected directly to gears.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Rumble

I don't know if matters, but at (or over) 45mph the TC is locked. So then, the engine is connected directly to gears.
Easy to check. Let it coast a few seconds, then hit the gas. The converter will be unlocked for a second or so, then lockup. If the rumble only starts when it locks up, it may be a trans problem.

Not the same trans but I drove a older lincoln Cont and the lockup would slip and grab making it feel like driving over rumble strips. This was a common problem and I saw it in a F-150 back in about 1990's. Changing the fluid made it better for a while. The feeling was much like driving on rumble strips, but not as harsh.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
+3 to Dan...CV axles. Had the rumble in my Duratec too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like you guys may be correct about the axle. I finally went to a guy i really trust, even though he is a long way away. I got it up on the life and looked myself. The axle has a lot of play and is leaking from the seal. Im changing it on Friday and Ill keep everyone posted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:

Car went into the shop today. The CV Axle is definitely very loose. He took the axle out. The clip was still in the axle so that was ok. He was not able to find the pat name for the interior part just inside the seal. We believe that piece is what is broken. Is it a bearing of some type? We are looking for a diagram of the internal workings.

So, the axle is fine, but the piece directly behind the seal that holds or supports it looks to be broken. Can anyone help me with what this piece may be called?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts