Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a little problem with my wife's wagon, our 3rd Taurus since 1993. 176,000 miles, DOHC 3.0 V6. A few months ago, the "low coolant" light came on and wouldn't go off, even though coolant level is fine and there's no bubbles in the system. Right after that, the "check engine" light came on with a few EGR codes, which were all fixed. Two days after they were fixed, the check engine light came back on and had the same codes, and a couple of those parts got replaced again. one was the EGR solenoid, and I can't remember what else. At one time she also had a problem putting gas in the tank, she had to have the nozzle almost all the way out of the filler neck and on the lowest setting. I don't remember what we replaced then, but that was fixed before all of this other stuff. Right now, I've got a random power loss(meaning the idle drops to almost nothing, coughs, and the only way to keep it going is to floor the accelerator. No smoke. It only lasts a few miles and might happen once a week or once a day) with no rhyme or reason when it happens, both check engine and low coolant lights on, the power steering pump is now starting to go out and a wife that's very frustrated with me and everyone we've taken it to for not getting it fixed. By the way, we've taken it 4 different places, including the local Ford dealer. Does anyone think any of these are tied together or are they all seperate problems? No, I'm sorry, I don't know what codes are on it right now, I can't get her to take it somewhere to get the codes read. The engine uses no oil, trans works perfect, still gets 27 mpg highway, and drives very smooth, so I hate to get rid of it. Where do I go from here? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
Low coolant light sensor is built into the bottom of the tank. You can either unplug it or replace the tank. Your egr code(s) is probably the result of a faulty dpfe sensor (egr pressure sensor). Should replace it with a borg-warner one from advance auto or oreilly. Also should clean the passageway between the egr valve and manifold. If a 2000 tec is similar to a 99 tec, the passageway is behind the throttle body (gasket). Ive never had an egr valve or egr solenoid throw an egr code (po401). Need to get the codes read for free at autozone and report back. Rough idle could be the pcv hose or other vacuum leak.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
^ Gas pump problem could have been some foil from an additive bottle obstructing the flow or the gas pump setting itself. For the power steering issue, you might suck the reservoir dry with a turkey baster and refill with mercon v atf (tranny fluid) to see if that quiets it down some.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
^ Iirc, concerning the lo coolant light, some on here have removed the tank, hosed it out and sloshed around some coolant cleaner/flush to remove the gunk from the sensor/float with varying degrees of success? I personally have never tried it. Maybe try spraying the elec. conns. with elec. contact cleaner and then apply a little dielectric grease, too?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll try some of these things tomorrow after basketball and boy scouts. Gimme a couple of days and I'l l let you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just bought a 2001 wagon with 72,000 miles, so I'm pushing this one on the back burner for now. Plus, it's been like 10 degrees here in Indiana lately and my newborn twin grandsons and their parents just moved in with me, so it might be a little longer than I expected. But still, thanks for the info. As I say, this is my 4th Taurus wagon, an '87, 2 2000's and now this 2001, and I've had my share of problems, so if I can help anyone, I'm more than happy to share what little knowledge I have accumulated.

·
Registered
23,406 Posts
Sounds like youve got your hands full, lol! Congrats on the 01. Good luck. Weathers not any better here in kansas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts