Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2000 vulcan w/ 80k. It has started running a little rough at idle. Sounds like it's missing or not firing all the time. I just installed new plugs and wires which didn't help much. Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe the fuel injectors are dirty. It seems fine under load and at higher rpms so I don't think it's a fuel filter. I also don't think it has a vacuum leak. What would you check next?

CEL is not on and no codes in computer.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Remove your coil pack and look for "cracks" or "blemishes"...be sure to check the bottom of it.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Might be your idle air control (IAC) - use your browser search on 'idle' or 'iac' on the Topic Finder (see navigation bar at the top of the page).

You can try removing it. Then you clean it with throttle body cleaner or any cleaner that evaporates completely. This has always worked for me.

Others say, forget cleaning and use your next $60-80 to buy a new IAC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try. I had IAC issues on my mustang but it had erratic idling, sometimes high, sometimes normal, it never sounded like it was "missing". I was wondering if hooking up a timing light to each wire would show anything, maybe it flashes too fast to see a miss. Of course that might tell me which cylinder but not the cause.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
QUOTE (OldWagon @ Apr 10 2009, 05:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716690
Might be your idle air control (IAC)

You can try removing it. Then you clean it with throttle body cleaner or any cleaner that evaporates completely. This has always worked for me.[/b]
I just did this per OldWagon's instruction. I think it helped a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (woody258 @ Apr 10 2009, 07:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=716809
...I was wondering if hooking up a timing light to each wire would show anything, maybe it flashes too fast to see a miss. ....[/b]
Sounds like a good idea. Erratic flashing would be easy to see at idle, as any one cylinder will flash only a few times per second at 1000 rpm.

As you say, though, I wouldn't know what to do with the information... and IDK why you wouldn't be getting a misfire code and SES/CEL light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts