Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy
My 2000 Taurus SE with the FFV Vulcan starts really hard/reluctantly in even cool to cold weather. It was really hard starting today and it was only 50 degrees out. It's always pretty much done this, including last winter, but this winter I'd like to get it fixed.

Since the car starts great in warm weather, I'm thinking it's the Idle-Air Control or the MAF. Could it also be my spark plugs (since they havent been replaced and I'm going on 79K miles)?

And finally, if any of these parts need to be replaced, it would be great if I could know the cost and where I can buy them (probably the stealership right?).

Thanks a bunch

Edit* Oh yeah, and last week my check engine light went on with a code P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire. However the light went off and my car has driven fine since. I dunno if this is related to my problem at all.

·
Registered
517 Posts
wow i dont know what to do about the misfire... but i may be plugs...

as for the hard starting what do you mean just takes a couple turns of the key or do yo have to crank on it of a while... it may be that it is just geting colder and your fuel runs back down the lines ... try just turning ont the key let the fuel pump run till it clicks ( should just be a few seconds you will hear a quiet click ) and then start... hope this helps...

i would not go to a stealership (name implys all reasoning)... plugs you can get at most auto part stores... and i belive the same for the IAC ... it would save you a lot $$

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried the fuel pump priming technique and it doesn't help any. Also, when I start, I just keep the key turned till it starts. This is usually under 5 seconds, probably more like 3-4 seconds (which is a long time if you say it out loud)

·
Registered
517 Posts
it is probably normal then... but it sitll would not hurt to do some regular maintenance .... remember in colder weather oil and all your fluids thicken up and are a little stiffer there for needing more crank time...

another thing that might help is a block or a oil heater..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by jedhead@Oct 21 2004, 07:08 PM
I know the SHO motor has a coolant temp sensor that lets the ECU know that the engine is cold so more fuel will be injected into the engine. Maybe you have a simular sensor telling the ECU the engine is warm and not to run rich.

Bob
Possibly I need a new thermostat? Since doesn't the thermostat measure coolant temps?

And I'm planning on replacing my spark plugs next thursday when I have some time, so hopefully that'll help some.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'd recommend two things. First, change your spark plugs--probably should have been done at 50,000 miles, even if Ford says 100,000 miles. Where I live, O'Reilly Auto Parts sells Motorcraft spark plugs for $2.29. It might take them one day to get the specific plugs you need. Second, switch to synthetic 5W-30 engine oil. Cold cranking, pour point, and cold pumping performance is drastically better with synthetics. Synthetics were originally developed by Hitler, so he could invade Russia with his tanks during the cold winter months. They became popular in this country, after Exxon-Mobil developed Mobil 1 for use on the Alaskan Pipeline around 1975. WalMart sells 5 quarts of Mobil 1 for around $19.87.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alrighty, I replaced my Spark Plugs last week with OEM Motorcraft plugs, but my car is still pretty hard starting in cold weather.

It's crazy since in warm weather it'll start right up, but even a day later if it gets a little chilly outside it starts reluctantly.

It's got to be some sensor of sorts or computer that measures the A/F ratio at a given temperature for startup (like not providing enough choke). Any other ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts