Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive mentioned this before, but I'm lookin into getting a car. I figured it woudl be best to post here so I dont up my post #'ing.

Anyways...I've been lookin around on the net at the 2000 Taurus, and ive found a few in the 4-5 range. Its a little outa my ranger by a grand or two, but maybe I can get a loan.

1.) I noticed some taurus's are either LX or SE, but these SE's have duratec, SEL rims, console/5 passenger, mach, etc. What happened?

2.) Are the 2000 Mercury Sable's?

3.) For you 2000 owners, should I keep my eyes peeled for certain flaws? Is there a level that has ABS, A/C and a Power driver seat (i'm 5'8")? Possibly a fold down seat for my bike? Keyless/Alarm would be nice, but not necessary.

My bus driver is selling her white gen 2 sable this summer, but the tranny she says is goin so thats another option if its worth it. Not sure about the engine, but the exterior/interior are in great condtion.

Thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll throw in my 0.0001 cents...

1) I think the trim lines went LX > SE > SES > SEL. The SES has the duratec as an optional engine, and other options are avaliable too, such as Mach, console, etc.... Basically, if you threw in all the options you could for an SES, you'd get an SEL.

2) No clue what you're asking here. There are two trim lines of the Salbe I think, LS and LS premium. LS premium comes with a duratec, LS with a vulcan. The main difference between the Sable and the Taurus is that the Sable comes with more standard than the Taurus does, plus there are fog lights with Sables. I don't think the Taurus has that option, but not too sure.

3) Fold down seats, and keyless entry are standard I believe. Can't say anything for the rest of them, however.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Early 2000's I think came in only
-LX(Bottom of the line, Vulcan)
-SE(top of the line till SEL came, Vulcan or Duratec)

Later in the year... (or maybe it was 2001..?) came about
-SES(Vulcan/Duratec)
-SEL(Duratec)

Mercury Sables come/came in
-GS(Vulcan)
-LS(Duratec)
I'm not sure about LS Premium when that was added, or if it was already there.

-Nick

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nick,
Sable was GS, LS and LS Premium at first. Only 3rd one was with Duratec.
Later they changed LS to GS Plus. Probably because of confusion: LS had vulcan engine.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
okay...these are the FACTS...

In 2000 it was ONLY LX and SE until RIGHT before 2001 model year.

LX was the base, and an SE equipped like an SEL was an "SE Comfort." It had the Duratec, auto climate control, mach, SEL rims, etc.

2001 got the LX, SE, SES, and SEL.

The Sable has always come in GS and LS. GS is the base, LS is the "SEL" of Sables usually.

You can get almost EVERY trim level Taurus with ABS, fold down seats, and power adjustable pedals. Most Tauri equipped with this is usually either an SES or an SEL. For your price range I would say get an SES. These could come with the Duratec...and the options you wanted.

I'm 6'2 and have fit in a Taurus w/o the adjustable pedals...so you will be fine w/o them. You will have PLENTY of room.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK this all sounds good. Im surprized though that the Sable depreciates faster but whatever. On my 2nd question i meant to ask: Are the 2000 Sables any different? Do they share the same problems as a taurus? Are they worth the look?

OK thanks for clearing up the confusion on the 00. I know this car's gona be high millage and I really dont care. And what about this G2 Sable i was talking bout...woudl that be a better idea?

Any other comments would be appreciated, thanks all!

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Umm.. as far as bikes go yes you can fold down one and get a bike in the trunk with the front wheel off, you can get one in the back seat too with the front wheel off, and you can fit a BMX with pegs on one side in the trunk with no problems.

Problems with the Gen IV, I don't like how the back end sags, and rides low, but that's the only complaint I have, and that can be fixed.

I would get a newer Generation, just because it'll be a bigger investment in the long run, because you can find parts for them a lot easier.

Another note on the bike carrying, DO NOT get a hitch mount rack, I had one and because of the sagging it can drag. Also there are many roof rack's available for the car if you wanted to go that route, just get a Fairing so you can save your gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well according to XL...Sable is cheaper, and that looks to be true, so I will keep an eye peeled. As for the bike...no roof racks or hitch or trunk mount. I dont wanna scratch the car. I got quick release so its just pop wheels and shove the bike in. Thanks Cincy I was just wanting to make sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts